The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Career and Education Services Department in Soho and the South Bronx supports young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment.
The Academic Instructor is responsible for providing classroom and small group instruction in different subject areas for pre-HSE (4.0-8.9 grade levels) and HSE (9.0-12.0 grade levels) to help them make literacy and numeracy gains to pass the TASC exam. The Instructor will also collaborate with team members to integrate career readiness, life skills, and other workshops into so that students are obtaining the knowledge and skills necessary for self-sufficiency and success.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Develop differentiated instruction to a wide-range of learners
- Plan lessons and projects that are aligned with the NYS Common Core Standards
- Administer multiple forms of assessment and use data for lesson planning and instructional strategies
- Provide a nurturing and stimulating classroom that supports learning
- Provide one-on-one tutoring and small group instruction within and outside of the classroom setting
- Develop and maintain student portfolios, documenting milestone and other supporting interim achievements
- Support the High School Equivalency Supervisor in leading instructional team projects and initiatives
- Develop and facilitate community meetings and provide support during special events
- You have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
What We Are Looking For:
- You have 3+ years experience in classroom teaching experience working with vulnerable young people
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices
- Experience in curriculum design and implementation
- You are technologically savvy with fluency in Microsoft Office
- You thrive in a busy environment and meet deadlines on time, all the time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Health and Dental Insurance through 1199 at no cost to the employee
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year) , 12 sick days, 3 personal days
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: mid-40s plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY