Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City’s most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 31 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower the individuals we serve through comprehensive, quality services that strengthen families and meet the current needs of the community.
The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 10,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Accountant, reporting directly to the Assistant Controller, is primarily responsible balance sheet analysis, managing insurance portfolio, reconciling all bank accounts, and reconciliation of various accounts related to intercompany activity. This position is also responsible for maintaining timely and accurate agency financial records in accordance with standard fiscal practices and requirements of funders.
- Prepare monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts
- Review and monitor balance sheet accounts, including analysis of Trial Balance/General Ledger and perform adjustments as needed
- Maintain Accounts Receivable balances and module.
- Prepare and record monthly allocation entries, prepaid entries and inter-company entries and reconciliations.
- Manage general insurance portfolio; main point of contact with Brokers and provide certificates when requested
- Ensure that the Accounting and Financial policies & procedures are being followed
- Reconcile investment accounts and make appropriate entries as needed
- Work with CFO and Director of Finance to assist in preparing requested financial reports
- Perform additional duties as requested by management
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required
- 1-2 years of Accounting experience (one year in not-for-profit) required
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Minimum of intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel required
- Good arithmetic skills
- Detail oriented, good communication (oral and written) and analytical skills
- Prior experience with Intacct software preferred
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: Mid 50s, plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume : APPLY
The Door is an Equal Opportunity Employer/ Program.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.