Working in a shared service environment, the Finance department will work with The Door and Broome Street Academy, two independent 501C3 that share leadership and administrative/back office functions. The two organizations are affiliated with New York City nonprofits that tackle the complex issues surrounding poverty for over 51,000 New Yorkers each year.
As the Assistant Controller, you will oversee the day-to-day supervision of the accounting team while maintaining processes and procedures. You are enthusiastic with a work hard mindset. You are a team player and able to roll up your sleeves and pitch in. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to take the next step in their career.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Conduct monthly analysis of Trial Balance/General Ledger Accounts and work to reconcile accounting inaccuracies or imbalances
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial reports
- Coordinate and assist finance management in preparing agency financial statements, board reports and cash flow projections
- Assist with preparation for audits
- Assist with preparation of tax filings, 990, IRS 1099, and annual agency-wide reports such as NYS CFR
- Assist finance management with the development of the annual budget
- Assist in the preparation of agency-wide and program-specific allocations
- Coordinate and/or assist management with the supervision of accounts payable and revenue cycle billing
- Monitor and ensure grant deliverables are met within the deadlines set by donors and ensure timely submission of proposals and
- funder reports and establish and update grants management processes and controls as needed to ensure compliance with budgetary best practices and donor restrictions
- Receive, review and manage grant agreements for terms and conditions, donor-imposed restrictions, and deliverable/reporting dates
- Review internal and external reports, including Director’s Reports and claims to government agencies and private funders
- Use accounting software to maintain records and prepare reports
- Supervise and delegate tasks to assigned accounting staff
- Assist in the implementation of our new accounting system
- Become a power user of accounting system, including training and assigning rights to staff
- Execute other assignments as requested by management
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and it is a huge plus if you have an MBA or CPA.
- You have 8+ years of progressive accounting experience. It is a plus if you have 3 years in nonprofit accounting.
- You have 3+ years’ experience supervising and leading staff.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with excellent critical thinking skills
- You have comprehensive knowledge of GAAP, Federal, State & City regulations, and nonprofit accounting requirements.
- You are self-directed and motivated and juggle multiple and complex assignments on time, all the time.
- You work independently but also collaborate and work as an effective team member.
- You are organized and able to shift gears in a busy environment.
- You know that communication is key.
- Able to multi-task, strong follow-through skills, highly organized, and detail-oriented
- Strong knowledge of accounting software programs and having Advanced Excel skills is a must
- Willingness to be an advocate for your program, participants, and community
- You have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission-driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: Full time
Please submit a cover letter and resume to APPLY.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.