Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young adults in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Bridge to College (BTC) is our college access and success program for students who have experienced foster care, the juvenile justice system, homelessness, and/or who hold a HSE or high school equivalency. Working closely with the BTC Coordinator, the BTC College Advisor provides individual advising and runs workshops to guide these students into college ready to succeed.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who has experience with admissions and financial aid processes, facilitation and curriculum design, and a commitment to positive youth development practices. Applicants should be independent, creative, energetic and flexible.
- Work one-on-one with the young people to develop and set individualized personal educational and career goals as related to secondary school or alternative success and post-secondary opportunity.
- Market and Recruit for participant who are eligible for program.
- Act as a member of an interdisciplinary team working with each young person to support the achievement of his/her goals includes facilitating relationships between volunteers, interns, and participants.
- Provide advisement in selection and admissions process for post-secondary opportunities including but not limited two- and four-year public and private universities as well as vocational program and service initiatives.
- Provide advisement in all aspects of financial aid process including scholarships and opportunity programs.
- Collect and maintain case records pursuant to data-management procedures and contractual obligations.
- Prepare students for a successful transition to post-secondary opportunity, including college bridge workshops and trips to local and out of state colleges and universities).
- Demonstrate an understanding of and practice the principles of positive youth development.
- Provide intensive coordination and integration of necessary services, including monitoring of program space, and documenting participants progress toward goals.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary staff in the development and facilitation of agency-wide programming and events.
- Support the Bridge to College Coordinator in providing college persistence services to students once enrolled.
- Participate in recruitment, orientation and intake efforts for Door Career and Education programming.
- Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Education or related field.
- Two years of experience in youth development, preferably employment and career-oriented programs.
- Experience working with vulnerable youth populations (Foster care, court involved, runaway, and homeless, and teens parents etc.) strongly preferred. Previous work as college or financial aid counselor preferred.
- Demonstrated skill in curriculum development.
- Ability to facilitate groups and other learning activities and or foster team cohesion.
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday – Friday, 35 hours per week, some evening and occasional weekend hours as needed.
We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefit package
Contact: Submit cover letter & resume to APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.