Position: BYC Foster Care Coordinator
Supervisor: Director of Runaway Homeless Youth Services
Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood. This position will be based at the Bronx Youth Center 4 days/week and in Soho 1 day/week.
- Serve as housing specialist to youth involved the Child Welfare system.
- Assess service needs of young people who have foster care involvement (past/present) in the Bronx (through BYC/Academy, Member Services, and Drop-in services) who need housing/shelter support, referrals and assistance.
- Coordinate the needs of young people at the Bronx Youth Center with Runaway Homeless Youth Services Case Management in Soho who need shelter support, benefits/entitlement assistance.
- Meet with young people who need advocacy and support as they transition from the foster care system.
- Perform ACS mandated reporting duties as needed.
- Provide suicide/homicidal assessments and appropriate follow-up with young people in collaboration with supervisor.
- Create Individualized Service Plans with young people.
- Follow-up on referrals to housing and other support services
- Escort young people to obtain necessary identification and to external agencies as needed
- Document work and complete all required reports.
- Participate in program and departmental meetings.
- Other functions and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Knowledge and at least 2 years experience in youth development counseling
- At least 2 years’ experience working with youth in foster care (Child Welfare system), runaway and homeless and/or at-risk youth populations
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Familiarity with emergency and transitional youth shelter systems
- Demonstrated ability to advocate effectively and professionally on behalf of clients
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and creatively as part of an interdisciplinary treatment team
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel or other compatible programs
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently and take initiative
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin preferred but not required
Hours: 35 hours per week, Monday – Friday, some nights required.
Contact: Send Cover letter and resume to Apply
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.