Position Title: Career Advancement Coach – Bronx Youth Center
Supervisor: Supervisor of Education Services
Overview: The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help young people, who are in school, out-of-school and out-of work, to assess, set, and obtain their educational and career goals. CareerED services specifically allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence. The Career Advancement Coach is responsible for providing intensive support, mentoring, coaching, and case management services to assist Bronx Youth Center participants to successfully move up an education and occupation ladder towards economic self-sufficiency. Specifically, the Career Advancement Coach will help young adults earn their High School Equivalency degree, enroll college, and/or obtain internships, jobs and advanced occupational skills training as well as provide retention support services after a young person is placed in college or employment. In this capacity, the Career Advancement Coach will be the primary point person for the young person during the duration of his/her participation at The Bronx Youth Center working closely with instructors, learning strategists, internship, college, and job placement staff at The Bronx Youth Center to ensure the young person is meeting his/her career and education goals.
- Conduct initial assessments and work with a caseload of young people to develop and achieve benchmarked individualized educational and career goal plans.
Monitor and track participants’ attendance, progress and achievement of career and education goal plans from point of enrollment in services at The Bronx Youth Center through post-placement retention.
- Provide case management services including information, referrals, assistance in accessing child care, health, mental health, and other support service that will assist participants to achieve career and education goals. This may include site visits to courts, hospitals, schools, or work sites for mandatory and celebratory events.
- Facilitate career readiness, professional development, and life skills workshops for participants; ensure participants complete a professional development portfolio.
- Collect and maintain all participant documentation, case management records, progress notes, and outcomes data as related to Bronx Youth Center program goals and contractual obligations.
- Work as part of an interdisciplinary team with instructional team, employment and post-secondary education staff to ensure participants’ education and career needs, interests, and goals are being met; participate in case conferencing.
- Participate in recruitment, orientation and intake efforts for The Door’s Bronx Youth Center career, education and Academy programming.
- Conduct prospecting, screening, and enrollment of young people for performance-based contracts.
- Conduct site visits to employment, training, and education sites to provide support, verify employment/attendance, and obtain documentation.
- Develop a transitional or exit service plan for participants who have successfully completed or no longer able to participate in career and education services at The Door’s Bronx Youth Center.
- Provide coverage and support during program activities; develop and facilitate community meetings, award ceremonies, alumni gatherings, and other special events.
- Provide feedback to Bronx Youth Center leadership team regarding young people’s education and placement experiences, challenges, and successes, to help inform the content and structure of program services.
- Support college level and/or high school interns that will work with each respective team on completing set administrative functions.
- Participate in relevant departmental, agency, and external agency meetings, trainings, case conferences, workshops and events.
Handle any appropriate additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by Supervisor and/or Director.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Sociology, Urban Policy, Education or related field strongly preferred or extensive related professional experience
- Two years experience in youth development, preferably employment, career oriented programs and/or youth development programs required
- Prior experience in a social service setting working with a multi-cultural young adult population
- Prior experience in working with a vulnerable youth populations (foster care, court involved, runaway and homeless or teen parent, etc.)
- Prior experience providing education/employment-related case management, career readiness, and employment retention services
- Demonstrated understanding and practice of the principles of positive youth development.
- Experience with performance based contracts.
- Ability to create and facilitate workshops and trainings
- Ability to closely collaborate with colleagues and function as part of a team to promote successful outcomes for youth
- Ability to model work readiness skills and appropriate work place behavior at all times
- Ability to work well in a fast paced environment and multitask while adhering to deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong computer skills required
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
Hours: 35 hours per week; occasionally evenings and weekends
Salary: low to mid 40s
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.