Position: Case Manager
Supervisor: Runaway Homeless Youth Supervisor
Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Case Manager will support the Runaway and Homeless Youth program by providing case management to homeless and unstably housed youth in order ensure that the basic needs of young people, including crisis counseling, housing placement, entitlements procurement, health care, mental health care, education, job/career assistance, recreational opportunities and other service needs are being met.
- In collaboration with other Door programs, identify young people in need of case management services.
- Provide supportive counseling and case management.
- Participate in case conferences for optimum collaboration among departments/programs and external agencies.
- Fieldwork and escorts as required.
- Assist with making shelter referrals for YP and provide follow up as needed.
- Document all interventions with young people and on their behalf.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and practice the principles of positive youth development.
- Attend all relevant meetings, trainings, workshops and outside events.
- Develop and facilitate groups for YP as needed.
- Perform ACS mandated reporting duties as needed.
- Provide suicide/homicidal assessments in collaboration with supervisor as needed to YP.
- Assist the RHY team in providing basic needs services, i.e. food, clothing, and shower/laundry services.
- Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience with urban homeless youth and LGBTQ population, demonstrated by 1-2 years of direct service case management
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with adolescents and other city agencies
- Demonstrated ability in engagement and advocacy and collaboration on behalf of clients
- Effective and creative work in an inter-departmental and inter-disciplinary setting
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills
- Effective verbal, written and computer skills
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin preferred
Hours: 35 Hours per week, (Mondays-Friday 12pm-8pm)
Salary: Low 40- 42K, plus generous benefits
Contact: Please submit resume and cover letter to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.