Broome Street Academy Charter High School (BSA) is a tuition-free public charter high school located in SoHo, educating students from all five boroughs, and devoted to providing students the necessary skills and support to graduate prepared for a successful future beyond high school. Our equitable, holistic, and student-centered approach will provide students with access to a rigorous, standards-based curriculum that will equip our graduates with the skills they need to make a positive impact on their communities and the broader world. Uniquely, BSA is the only charter school in the NYCDOE Community Schools portfolio because of our long-standing partnership with The Door, a revered non-profit organization celebrating 50 years of serving New York City’s young people in 2022. Our partnership allows us to serve the whole student and meet a variety of non-academic needs that clear the path for student learning.
At BSA, we hold our students to five pillars of excellence to support students in becoming well-rounded, valuable and value-added citizens. The five pillars of PRIDE include:
Professionalism, Resilience, Investment, Dignity, Empathy
Broome Street Academy values:
- Student Voice
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Academic rigor (including challenging curriculum and AP courses)
- Caregiver involvement
- A safe, supportive school environment
- Development of and respect for community partnerships
- Healthy social and emotional relationships.
The Chef will prepare breakfast (75-100) and lunch (200-250) for students enrolled in Broome Street Academy and participants at The Door from 7:00 am – 3:30 pm and assure the smooth operation in the kitchen. The kitchen is shared with an afternoon team that prepares and distributes dinner and runs a culinary arts training program between 2:00 pm -7:00 pm. The Chef will also provide coverage and support for the other food service staff and programs when necessary.
- Abide by Department of Health (DOH), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA), Department of Education (DOE) regulations regarding proper kitchen hygiene and maintenance.
- Ensure that quality and quantity of food meet standards for meal patterns established by designated regulatory agencies (i.e. USDA, FDA, NSLP etc.).
- Receive and inspect incoming product for quality and quantity, and ensure prompt and proper storage.
- Supervise and participate in the requisition, inspection, preparation, cooking and portioning food in accordance with quality standards.
- Supervise and coordinate daily activities of staff engaged in food preparation, meal service and cleanup.
- Supervise and participate in training other kitchen personnel in their duties and responsibilities.
- Ensure all kitchen staff are trained and meet annual training requirements.
- Prepare meals accurately according to written recipes and recommend changes in recipe/cooking method to improve quality of food.
- Generate daily production records, maintain monthly inventory, and records of all food item purchases.Submit food orders to vendors in a timely manner.
- Maintain all backup documentation for menu items, recipes, CN labels, PFS.
- Create and design monthly menus to be posted online and near kitchen.
- Maintain annual health permit and all inspection follow ups from DOH.
- Ensure safe handling and proper temperature control of prepared food.
- Maintain daily equipment and food temp logs.
- Ensure security of refrigerators, freezers, storerooms, and office before leaving for the day.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of entire kitchen, cafeteria, and walk-in, including dishes and equipment to all sanitation standards.
- Conduct focus groups, create surveys, and provide tastings to increase student participation and meal satisfaction.
- Consult with the Director of Culinary Programs and Community Wellness as to schedule the menu and any other problems.
- Complete National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Food Authority (SFA) documentation/logs and submit monthly claims.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree in Culinary Arts; or 3-5 years of experience as Chef or line cook
- 3-5 years of food service management experience
- Experience in youth development work and interest in working with adolescents required
- Experience working with DOE or National School Lunch Program preferred
- Valid New York City Food Handlers Certificate.
- Supervisory, budgeting, and purchasing experience required
- Proficiency in the safe operation of all kitchen equipment and Department of Health regulations
- Excellent managerial, communication and customer service skills required
- Administrative experience required
- Basic computer skills required, including Microsoft Office
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package
Contact: Submit resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.