The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Career and Education Services Department in Soho and the South Bronx support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. As the College Advisor, you are 100% dedicated to BSA students serving as part of an interdisciplinary team of staff from both organizations working in partnership with University Settlement’s Talent Search program, College Paths, based at The Door. The position provides individual college counseling and group post-secondary planning workshops and helps coordinate college access activities across the school. You are a dynamic individual who has experience with admissions and financial aid processes, facilitation and curriculum design, and a commitment to positive youth development practices. You are independent, creative, energetic, and flexible.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Work with young people to develop individualized goals as related to secondary school or post-secondary opportunities
- Act as a member of an interdisciplinary team working with each young person to support the achievement of their goals includes facilitating relationships between volunteers, interns, and participants
- Provide advisement in the selection and admissions process for post-secondary opportunities
- Provide advisement to students and BSA alumni in all aspects of the financial aid process
- Provide workshops on college access, affordability, and the value of higher education
- Collect and maintain case records pursuant to data-management procedures and contractual obligations.
- Prepare students for a successful transition to post-secondary opportunity
- Provide case management services and other support services for BSA alumni to achieve career and education goals
- Provide career advisement to BSA alumni and connect them to employment and career development opportunities
- Provide coordination and integration of necessary services and documenting participants progress toward goals
- Participate in case conferencing
- Provide crisis intervention as needed
- Collaborate with staff in the development and facilitation of agency-wide programming and events
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Education or related field.
- You have 2+ years of experience in supporting youth with employment and career-oriented opportunities.
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices
- You can travel between the offices of The Door/University Settlement and local high school partners.
- Demonstrated skill in curriculum development
- You can create and facilitate workshops.
- A huge plus if you are proficient in Spanish, French, or Mandarin.
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year) , 12 sick days, 3 personal days
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: 35 hours per week, some evening and occasional weekend hours as needed
Salary: Low 40s, plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.