Overview: The Door’s mission is to empower young people to reach their potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. University Settlement serves over 30,000 low-income individuals and families each year with innovative and comprehensive programming.
The Computer Science Teacher will act as part of an inter- disciplinary team that will seek to increase the number of youth from disadvantaged backgrounds who complete high school or equivalent and enroll in post-secondary education institutions of their choice. This is accomplished through one-to-one advisement, small and large group workshops, and as part of on-campus college exploration opportunities.
As part of the University Settlement Society Talent Search program at The Door, the applicant will provide services to in- and out-of-school youth of The Door community and local high schools. We are looking for a dynamic individual who has experience with admissions and financial aid processes, facilitation and curriculum design, and a commitment to positive youth development practices. Applicants should be independent, creative, energetic and flexible.
• Responsible for all lesson plans, assignments, assessments, and other instructional materials and methods of teaching in your classroom
• Plan lessons and projects that are outcome based to develop skills necessary to the New York City Department of Education standard
• Collect, report, and analyze both quantitative and qualitative data about students and refine lesson plans accordingly
• Support a Chelsea CTE High School’s culture of high academic standards and behavioral standards grounded in restorative practices, with the aim of creating a supportive and engaging learning environment
• Maintain a classroom environment that is stimulating, supports individual and group learning and is rigorous and nurturing
• Work as part of an interdisciplinary team with instructional team, placement staff, and college advisors to ensure participants’ education and career needs, interests, and goals are being met; participate in case conferencing
• Maintain records of students’ academic strengths, challenges, and progress; prepare reports on students’ progress
• Participate in relevant departmental, agency, and external agency meetings, trainings, case conferences, workshops and events
• Handle any appropriate additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by Supervisor and/or Director
• Discipline specific Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Education preferred
• NYS teaching certification or eligibility to be certified
• Experience in curriculum design and implementation
• Ability to work as part of a high performing team, including exceptional communication and organizational skills
• Demonstrated belief that all children deserve an excellent education
• Experience working in Youth Development and aware of positive youth development principals (restorative justice, motivational interviewing, therapeutic crisis intervention, etc.)
• Proficiency in Spanish, Mandarin, or French, preferred but not required
Hours: 8 hours per week ( 2 hours class time, 2 days per week, 4 hours prep time)
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience; starting salary similar to DOE’s Teacher’s per session rate
Contact: PLEASE UPLOAD RESUME , COVER LETTER, AND ALL ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS AS PDF TO APPLY