As the first settlement house in the nation and for over 130 years, University Settlement has been empowering New York residents by building on their strengths through comprehensive, quality services that meet the current needs of the community; innovation that anticipates future needs; and advocacy to improve the community as a whole.
The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Computer Science Teacher will act as part of an inter- disciplinary team that will seek to increase the number of youth from disadvantaged backgrounds who complete high school or equivalent and enroll in post-secondary education institutions of their choice. As part of the University Settlement Society College Paths program at The Door, the applicant will provide services to in- and out-of-school youth of The Door community and local high schools. We are looking for a dynamic individual who has experience curriculum design, planning lessons, and a commitment to positive youth development practices. Applicants should be independent, creative, energetic and flexible.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Accountable for all lesson plans, assignments, assessments, other instructional materials and methods of teaching based on skills necessary to the New York City Department of Education
- Collect, report, and analyze data about students and refine lesson plans accordingly
- Maintain students’ records and progress
- Support a Chelsea CTE High School’s culture of high academic standards and behavioral standards grounded in restorative practices
- Uphold a stimulating classroom environment supporting learning and is rigorous and nurturing
- Contribute in relevant departmental, and external agency meetings and events
- You have a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in Education; NYS teaching certification or eligibility to be certified
- Experience in curriculum design and implementation
- You have a talent of engaging students and creating a lively classroom environment
- You are a relationship builder with colleagues to promote successful outcomes for youth
- You have a knack with youth and the ability to apply positive youth development
- You display mastery and enthusiasm of the subject
- You think outside the box when it comes to teaching and tackling issues/ in the classroom
- You are organized and passionate about accuracy
You know communication is key
Hour: 8-10 hours per week (2 hours class time, 2 days per week, 4 hours prep time)
Salary: $60 per hour; Competitive and commensurate with experience; starting salary similar to DOE’s Teacher’s per session rate
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.