Overview: Founded in 1972, The Door empowers educationally and economically disadvantaged youth to reach their potential by providing a complete range of services all under one roof. Each year over 11,000 young people from all five New York City boroughs come to The Door for primary health care, reproductive care and health education, mental health counseling, legal services, supportive housing, GED, ESL, tutoring and homework help, college preparation and computer classes, career & education services, job placement, daily meals, cultural arts and services.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Medical Director and Lead Nurse Practitioner, the Trans Health Services Nurse Practitioner will function in an expanded role in the areas of primary care and reproductive health, for our unique high risk populations.
- Assess and provide care according to our guidelines and protocols for transgender health and STI care via history taking, physical examination, and laboratory tests within his/her scope of practice
- Prescribe drugs including hormonal therapy, devices, immunizing agents, tests, and procedures as medically indicated
- Work with patients to ensure an understanding of and compliance with the therapeutic regimen with established protocols, and recognize when to refer the patient to a physician or other health care provider
- Perform other relevant duties as delegated by supervisor
- Currently licensed/registered by the state of New York according to degree
- DEA Controlled Substances Registration Certificate
- CPR Certification
- Adolescent Health, Reproductive Health, STI/HIV Prevention experience preferred
- Board certification or eligible in Family Medicine, Pediatrics/Adolescent Medicine, or Infectious Disease for NPs/MDs
- Knowledge of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Experience working with LGBT-identified, runaway and homeless, foster care and immigrant youth populations
- Demonstrates ability to work in a holistic, multidisciplinary setting and closely collaborate with colleagues as part of an interdisciplinary team to promote successful outcomes for youth
- Knowledge of effects of trauma on adolescent development and experience with providing trauma informed care preferred
- Proficiency in use of electronic medical records, preferably eCW
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Mandarin strongly preferred
Work Schedule: Part time, 10 to 14 hours per week, Monday – Friday with some evening hours required
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.