If you are looking for an exciting and rewarding career in education, Broome Street Academy Charter High School located in the SoHo area of New York City, is seeking a full-time Dean of Student Life for the 2022-2023 school year.
About Broome Street Academy Charter High School:
Broome Street Academy Charter High School empowers our students to reach their highest aspirations for post-secondary success. Our equitable, holistic, and student-centered approach will provide students with access to a rigorous, standards-based curriculum that will equip our graduates with the skills they need to make a positive impact on their communities and the broader world.
Broome Street Academy Charter High School (BSA) is a tuition-free public charter high school located in SoHo, educating students from all five boroughs, and devoted to providing students the necessary skills and support to graduate prepared for a successful future beyond high school. We are an inclusive school community that values academic rigor, trauma informed practice, and student voice. Uniquely, BSA is the only charter school in the NYCDOE Community Schools portfolio through our partnership with The Door, a revered non-profit organization celebrating 50 years of serving New York City’s young people. Our Advanced Placement classes, Athletics program, and after school club offerings give our students the full high school experience in a small, one-of-a-kind environment.
At BSA, we hold our students to five pillars of excellence to support students in becoming well-rounded, valuable, and value-added citizens. The five pillars of PRIDE include:
Professionalism, Resilience, Investment, Dignity, Empathy
Broome Street Academy values:
- Student Voice
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Academic rigor (including challenging curriculum and AP courses)
- Caregiver involvement
- A safe, supportive school environment
- Development of and respect for community partnerships
- Healthy social and emotional relationships.
The Dean of Student Life is in a highly visible leadership position at the school and is central to influencing culture and communication among all stakeholders at Broome Street Academy. The Dean of Student of Life must have the capacity to maintain and develop a supportive, productive, and enriching school culture that is above all things inclusive and equitable.
The person in this role will directly supervise the Student Life Associates, the Associate Dean of Student Life and the Parent/Caregiver Coordinator to create a strong, safe, nurturing school community for all students, staff, and caregivers. The Dean of Student Life will lead by establishing and supporting expectations for positive student behavior by implementing data driven models for tracking, analyzing,and addressing trends in student behavior. He/she/they will implement and support learning and instruction using restorative practices.
The role requires strong administrative and personal leadership skills. Administratively, critical data related to student behavior and school culture must be tracked analyzed and responded to, and interpersonally the person must be able to help lead the school community through any circumstance (growth, stability, crisis, uncertainty, etc.).
- Model school expectations for students and staff to create a safe and positive school culture.
- Build strong relationships with students, staff, and caregivers to create a trusting community.
- Lead the Monthly Caregiver Meeting at BSA.
- Uphold, update, and continually evaluate the BSA Student Code of Conduct.
- Develop transparent and responsive data systems to document safety and culture concerns and support staff in utilizing resources.
- Lead school-wide training in a variety of topics, including collaboration techniques, restorative conferencing, negotiation, and conflict resolution.
- Support the development of staff in need of support in classroom management through Professional Learning Communities, including at least one weekly meeting after school with participants.
- Work in alignment and partnership with counterparts at The Door to ensure harmony and collaboration of restorative practices across organizations.
- Guide the implementation of Restorative Practices.
- Collaborate with other members of the Leadership Team on school-wide discipline related issues such as restorative conferences, mediations, caregiver meetings, disciplinary hearings, in-school, and out-of-school suspensions as needed.
- Act as a representative of the school community to caregivers and external partners including nearby school counterparts and the neighborhood police precinct.
- Collaborate with our co-location partner The Door to ensure school-wide safety of all students during school hours and after school programming.
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Social Work and Guidance in the development of the school’s Advisory curriculum and support of advisors in implementing this curriculum.
- Lead the supervision of arrival and dismissal of students.
- Ensure the organization of student records and files related to discipline.
- Undertake administrative and instructional duties as assigned to ensure due process and legal compliance regarding student discipline actions.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Three or more years of progressive experience as a Dean of Students, school culture leader, or similar role in an urban school.
- Two or more years of experience as a teacher in an urban school.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with stakeholders at all levels including students, families, teachers, and school leadership.
- PowerSchool knowledge preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish & English) preferred.
- Proven track record of mediating conflict situations
- Relentless commitment to the academic success of all students
- Stamina to handle long days and the intensity required to work in an independent charter school.
- A flexible thinker willing to do “whatever it takes”
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to: APPLY
For the convenience of faculty and families with students in public elementary and middle schools, BSA largely follows the NYCDOE school calendar, with a few limited modifications.
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.