University Settlement is one of New York City’s most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 30 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower residents by building on their strengths through comprehensive, quality services that meet the current needs of the community; innovation that anticipates future needs; and advocacy to improve the community as a whole.
The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
A major initiative within The Door, Broome Street Academy is a unique charter high school that prepares New York City’s most vulnerable youth for a successful future through rigorous academics paired with supports of The Door.
The Development Assistant will be an integral member of the Individual Giving team whose main focus will be supporting the Assistant Director of Events in planning and executing all special events.
These events range annually from two major events to multiple smaller events for major donors, Board members, and volunteers. This person will also provide support to the Managing Director of Individual Giving, as well as efforts across the Individual Giving team as needed.
- Assist with event tasks such as; accommodations and transportation, facilities, catering, signage, displays, name tags, special needs requirements and event security. Ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws
- Coordinate the mailing of invitations, save the date cards, etc.
- Maintain invitation lists, track ticket sales, and track auction items
- Assist in the production of event materials, including invitations, programs and display materials
- Identify, research and oversee solicitations and follow-up to potential sponsors and vendors
- Assist Individual Giving team with daily office tasks including, data entry and database management using Raiser’s Edge software
- Manage event and donor database to generate solicitation and acknowledgement letters, invoices, and event reports
- Support the Assistant Director of Events on additional event related tasks such as generating collateral, staying up to date on events software and registration solutions, creating timelines, auction oversight, coordination of venue relations, budget reconciliation, research donors and sponsor outreach
- Help support the work of the Managing Director of Individual Giving through administrative support such as donor research, presentation materials, and information updates in the data base
- Assist the Individual Giving team and overall development team with other tasks as needed
- BA/BS degree preferred
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in events, hospitality, fundraising or a related field
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint); comfort with learning new systems and technologies
- Proven experience with development databases and events software systems a plus
- Demonstrated organizational skills with strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Excellent communication, outreach and time management skills
- Ability to perform under tight deadlines. Handles pressure with grace and diplomacy; able to anticipate problems and present solutions quickly
- Ability to work efficiently and quickly on diverse assignments
- Superior interpersonal skills; able to represent the organizations well via phone and in-person
- Experience working with graphic design, print production and related support services
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Enthusiasm for the missions of University Settlement and The Door.
- Occasional evening hours and weekend work required as necessary
Salary: Mid-40’s, plus generous benefits
Hours: 35 hours per week
CONTACT: PLEASE UPLOAD RESUME, COVER LETTER, AND ALL ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS AS A PDF TO APPLY