Overview: Working in a shared service environment, the Grants Manager will work with The Door and University Settlement, two independent 501C3 that share a CEO and administrative/back office functions.
University Settlement is one of New York City’s most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 32 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower residents by building on their strengths through comprehensive, quality services that meet the current needs of the community; innovation that anticipates future needs; and advocacy to improve the community as a whole.
The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
A major initiative within The Door, Broome Street Academy is a unique charter high school that prepares New York City’s most vulnerable youth for a successful future through rigorous academics paired with supports of The Door.
We are seeking a Grants Manager who will oversee the day-to-day supervision of grant accountants while implementing industry best practices relating to financial and grants management as well as engage in special projects within the Finance department
- Supervise grants accounting staff; monitor and ensure grant fiscal deliverables are met within the deadlines set by donors and ensure timely submission of periodic claims and funder reports
- Liaise with program directors, development and fiscal staff on the financial management of grants and proposals
- Review and prepare grant and pre-award budgets
- Review internal and external reports, including variance reports and claims to government agencies and private funders
- Establish and update grants management processes and controls as needed to ensure compliance with budgetary best practices and donor restrictions
- Manage, update, and maintain organization of all grant documents (e.g. narratives, financials, agreements, amendments and reports)
- Oversee and assist with contract and agency-wide audits; coordinate with external auditors
- Oversee the preparation of agency-wide and program specific personnel and OTPS budgets.
- Execute other assignments as requested by management
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field required. Master’s degree or CPA preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of progressive grants management experience government and other grants. DYCD, DOE and DOHMH experience strongly preferred
- At least 2-3 years’ experience supervising staff
- Comprehensive knowledge of Uniform Guidance, GAAP, Federal, State & City regulations and nonprofit accounting requirements
- Self-directed and motivated, able to manage multiple and complex assignments and meet deadlines
- Must be flexible and willing to adjust work schedule as necessary
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, organizational and problem solving skills; able to multi-task, strong follow-through skills and detail oriented
- Strong knowledge of non-profit accounting software programs (Intacct and Adaptive Insights experience preferred)
- Advanced Excel skills
Hours: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY