Supervisor: Manager of Health Education
Overview: The Health Educator is a professional counselor/educator who provides individual and group counseling to adolescents around issues of birth control methods, pregnancy options, STD testing, HIV testing and referrals.
What you will be doing:
- Providing clients with individual and group education/counseling with adolescents around birth control, pregnancy prevention, HIV/AIDS prevention, and making healthy choices.
- Participating in health care delivery and case management, in collaboration with other health center staff, including the clinician, social worker, lab staff and medical assistants.
- Providing HIV education, and pre- and post-test counseling and referrals to adolescents.
- Representing The Door and the mission at schools, health care agencies, community-based organizations, health fairs and community meetings.
- Providing counseling prior to and following a pregnancy test and provides appropriate pregnancy options referrals.
- Participating in case management
- Maintaining appropriate logs, i.e. HIV & Pregnancy, etc
- Responsible for community-based assignments, conducting classroom presentations and small group sessions, and providing counseling and referrals other services and programs at The Door.
- In conjunction with a NYSDOE/NYCDOE certified teacher, you will be teaching health education sessions with an emphasis on age appropriate sexual health topics in schools.
- Maintaining accurate records and logging education sessions and outreach activities.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Who you are:
- Someone with a bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Health Education, Public Health, Public Administration, or related field.
- You have relevant work experience and some college credits will be considered in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
- You enjoy providing support regarding family planning, reproductive health care, adolescent health services or counseling
- You are knowledgeable in youth development principles to work with young people
- You speak Spanish or French (a plus, not a requirement)
- You have strong organizational and communication skills
- It excites you to train youth with an empowerment philosophy and harm reduction
Why You Should Join Our Team:
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre-Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Salary: High 30s to Low 40s
Hours: 35 hours per week
Contact: Submit cover and resume at APPLY!
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.