The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Career and Education Services Department in Soho and the South Bronx supports young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. The Door’s EPOCH Program is designed to help young people, who are out-of-school and out-of-work, to assess, set, and obtain their educational and career goals. As the HSE Instructor, you will teach an HSE class for students, ages 17-24 years old, which are nearing test ready. The goal is to prepare students to take the HSE and score the highest score on the exam so that they will be prepared to enter college, advanced skills training workshops and/or employment.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Facilitate all instructional aspects of HSE class
- Provide differentiated instruction and plan curriculum that develop skills for job readiness and HSE preparation
- Administer multiple forms of assessment and use data to inform instructional strategies
- Collaborate with the instructional team to respond to the instructional needs of the individual students
- Maintain a classroom environment that is stimulating, supports learning and is rigorous and nurturing
- Develop and maintain student records, documenting milestone and other supporting interim achievements
- Maintain case records pursuant to data-management procedures established for the program and as stipulated by contractual requirements
- Collect and maintain documentation of services and outcomes for internal and external use
- You have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field.
- You have 2+ years experience teaching HSE classes.
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices.
- You have experience in curriculum design and implementation.
- You know communication is key.
Hours: Monday-Thursday mornings, 15 hours per week (This temporary position will end three months from start date)
Salary: $30.00 per hour
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.