Position: Housing Navigator (Emergency Housing Voucher)
Supervisor: Runaway Homeless Youth Supervisor
Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Housing Navigator will assist households in receipt of an EHV (Emergency Housing Voucher) through thee processes of locating, leasing, and moving into housing within 120 days of voucher issuance. This is a predominantly field-based position and will require travel within all 5 boroughs and possibly to adjacent communities in NYS and NJ if a household is interested in porting. This is a temporary position and will end June 30, 2022.
Housing Navigators will coordinate with DYCD and The Door to manage an ongoing caseload of individuals/households in receipt of an EHV. This work will include, but is not limited to:
- Engaging with The Door and DYCD to connect with recipients of Emergency Housing vouchers (EHV).
- Engaging in phone and filed-based outreach to assigned EHV youth, including engaging with participants in shelter and other settings.
- Assist the participant with acquiring the necessary documentation and mitigate issues with credit reports, utility arrears, and unfavorable landlord references as necessary.
- Assist EHV recipients with the process of securing housing including but not limited to, coordinating and attending apartment interviews; acquiring and submitting apartment applications, supporting documentation, and forms; navigating the various rental subsidy and inspection processes; securing applicable move-in assistance; and coordinating move-ins with landlords and other relevant stakeholders.
- Providing participants with listings of potential housing options in alignment with participants’ housing needs and geographic preferences.
- Assist with landlord applications.
- Assist with HRA Broker Fee, Security Voucher, moving expenses.
- Adding unit to HOME database, when necessary.
- Arrange for timely inspections and landlord corrective action, in coordination with NYCHA.
- Explain and review the lease and sublease agreement with the EHV recipient.
- Educating EHV recipients on their rights and responsibilities as tenants.
- Maintain accurate, comprehensive, and current documentation and provide reports as needed.
- Follow up with residents once they are placed housing.
- Coordinate with RHY Team at DYCD.
- Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by supervisor.
- Experience with the housing process and housing applications in NYC.
- Experience working with landlords, brokers, and the rental market in NYC.
- Experience in case management or project management.
- Proficiency with computers, navigating in multiple systems and web-based applications.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, handle multiple projects simultaneously and delegate responsibilities when appropriate.
- Have strong attention to detail.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Bilingual candidates preferred and encouraged to apply.
- Two years of full-time satisfactory professional experience in housing, homelessness, case management, or a related field
- Experience working with youth and young adults experiencing homelessness.
- BA/BS preferred
Hours: 35 Hours per week, (Mondays-Friday 9am-5pm/10am-6pm)
Salary: $43K, plus generous benefits
Contact: Please submit resume and cover letter to Apply
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.