University Settlement (www.universitysettlement.org), The Door (www.door.org), and Broome Street Academy (www.broomestreetacademy.org) are affiliated New York City nonprofits that tackle the complex issues surrounding poverty for over 50,000 New Yorkers each year.
Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City’s most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 30 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower residents by building on their strengths through comprehensive, quality services that meet the current needs of the community; innovation that anticipates future needs; and advocacy to improve the community as a whole.
The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports, and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
A major initiative within The Door, Broome Street Academy is a unique charter high school that prepares New York City’s most vulnerable youth for a successful future through rigorous academics paired with supports of The Door.
As the Human Resources Manager for Recruitment and Retention, you will be responsible for ensuring the acquisition of top-caliber applicants and oversee the full life cycle of recruitment, onboarding and retention. You will provide guidance in employee relations and organizational policies pertaining to recruitment and retention to managers and staff. The HR Manager for Recruitment and Retention will oversee the Recruitment Specialist and HR Interns. We are looking for someone to provide the highest level of customer service by partnering with managers to deliver on hiring goals and labor relations. We are seeking a candidate who has a vast knowledge and experience in recruitment ideologies; knowledgeable in Federal, NYS and NYC employment laws as well as labor relations; and be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Directly supervise the full recruitment cycle including job requisitions, selection, and on-boarding processes
- Supervise the Recruitment Specialist to manage the recruitment process and applicant tracking system
- Develop and edit job descriptions and job postings with a creative flair
- Ensure collective bargaining and EEO compliance requirements are accurate and complete
- Analyze recruitment trends and develop program-specific recruitment strategies for managers to achieve required staffing levels
- Utilize digital recruiting strategies and platforms to identify candidates and hard to fill positions
- Leverage internal and external candidates and sources to build a systematic talent pipeline of qualified candidates
- Focus on agency-wide Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) strategies in recruitment
- Continuously ensure efficiency in the use of HRIS system; make recommendations for full use of the technology and assist with implementing changes
- Develop and deliver HR process and content trainings to management staff
- Provide guidance and coaching to staff and management on employment matters; resolve hiring issues and labor relations issues as they arise
- Handle exit/stay interviews and analyze and report on questionnaire results with senior management
- Develop and report on turnover and retention analytics for the agencies and work with senior management to develop strategies for engagement
- Complete other tasks and special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Organizational Psychology or related field preferred. PHR or SHRM-CP certification preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of employment law and collective bargaining agreements
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in an HR office (non-profit setting a plus) as an HR Generalist or Specialist with strong recruitment and staff involvement required
- Demonstrated ability to partner with senior management to achieve organizational objectives
- Demonstrated ability to coach, develop and supervise HR staff as well as coach and develop other employees
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to exercise independent, sound judgment in decision-making and minimize agency’s exposure to risk
- Must be technologically savvy; fluency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); strong working knowledge of HRIS systems. ADP Workforce Now preferred.
- Must have cultural sensitivity emotional intelligence and capacity to work with a multicultural staff
- Must be detail-oriented, possess excellent communication and organizational skills and have worked in a fast-paced environment
- Bilingual Creole, Spanish or Chinese a plus
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits