Work Schedule: Part time, 15 hours a week
Salary: $28.00 – $30.00 an hour, commensurate with experience
Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 10,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young adults in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. The Door’s EPOCH Program is designed to help young people who are out-of-school and out-of-work to assess, set, and obtain their educational and career goals. The EPOCH Program is seeking a part-time HSE (High School Equivalency) instructor to teach a HSE class for students, ages 17-24 years old, who are nearing test ready. The goal of the class is to prepare students to take the HSE and score the highest score on the exam so that they will be prepared to enter college, advanced skills training workshops and/or employment.
- Facilitate all instructional aspects of HSE class
- Provide differentiated instruction to a wide range of learners
- Plan lessons and projects that are outcome based to develop skills necessary for both job readiness and HSE preparation
- Demonstrate an understanding of and practice the principles of positive youth development
- Administer multiple forms of assessment, including summative and formative assessments, and use these assessments to inform lesson planning and day to day instructional strategies
- Collaborate with the instructional team to respond to the instructional needs of the individual students, to plan lessons, projects, and student exhibitions
- Maintain a classroom environment that is stimulating, supports individual and group learning and is rigorous and nurturing
- Develop and maintain student portfolios, documenting milestone and other supporting interim achievements
- Maintain accurate student records and all student contacts
- Maintain case records pursuant to data-management procedures established for the program and as stipulated by contractual requirements
- Collect and maintain documentation of services and outcomes for internal and external use
- Complete any relevant responsibilities and functions as assigned by supervisor and/or director
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field required, Master’s preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience teaching HSE classes
- Previous experience in youth development
- Demonstrated understanding and practice of the principles of positive youth development
- Experience in curriculum design and implementation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and challenge students to achieve a high level of performance through rigorous academic performance
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.