Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Door is looking for a teaching artist to facilitate afternoon workshops in our integrated arts program for Door participants. We are looking for dynamic individuals with experience in youth work to design and instruct creative/educational work projects with a focus on music, visual arts, theater, and dance. There will also be opportunities to develop performance showcases for your students at local venues and on site. The program operates at The Door, a youth services organization that provides comprehensive, integrated youth development services, and teaching artists are an integral part of the agency.
- Teach ongoing workshops for participants
- Prepare curriculum and materials for workshops and ongoing classes
- Work with other teaching artists to create interdisciplinary showcases and workshops\Supervise participants, monitor attendance, maintain equipment, and document all aspects of the program
- Attend all relevant meetings
- Assist in the recruitment of new arts program participants
- Connect and refer participants to appropriate support services at The Door
- Assist students in the development of performance materials, experiences and showcases
- Previous work as an artist/youth program instructor/educator
- BA in related field or life experience equivalent
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Interest in working with young people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to participate as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be independent, creative, energetic, and flexible
- Proficiency in Spanish, Mandarin, or French, preferred but not required
Work Schedule: Part time, Weekday Afternoons, 6 hours per week
Salary: $20.00 – $25.00 an hour, commensurate with experience
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.