Position: Instructor- HSE
Reports To: Supervisor of Education Services
Overview: The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help young people, who are in school, out-of-school and out of work, to assess, set, and obtain their educational and career goals. CareerED services specifically allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence. The Instructor is responsible for providing classroom and small group for pre-HSE, HSE and Bridge Program students at the Bronx Youth Center to help them make literacy and numeracy gains and move towards preparing for the HSE test as well as work readiness, life skills, technology and vocational training in EMT and healthcare related fields to successfully move up an education and occupation ladder towards economic self-sufficiency.
- Create curriculum and facilitate all instructional aspects of pre-HSE, HSE or Bridge academic classes for Bronx Youth Center students
- Provide differentiated instruction to a wide-range of learners.
- Plan lessons and projects that are outcome based to develop skills necessary for both job readiness and HSE preparation that are aligned with the NYS Common Core Standards.
- Facilitate orientation sessions for new students.
- Administer multiple forms of assessment, including the TABE test and other summative and formative assessments, and use these assessments to inform lesson planning and day to day instructional strategies.
- Maintain records of students’ academic strengths, challenges, and progress; prepare reports on students’ progress
- Collaborate with the instructional team to respond to the instructional needs of the individual students, to plan lessons, projects and student exhibitions.
- Maintain a classroom environment that is stimulating, supports individual and group learning and is rigorous and nurturing.
- Develop and implement teaching strategies to assist struggling youth in literacy and numeracy skills.
- Provide one-on-one tutoring and small group instruction within and outside of the classroom setting.
- Develop and maintain student portfolios, documenting milestone and other supporting interim achievements.
- Collect and maintain all participant documentation, case management records, progress notes, and outcomes data as related to Bronx Youth Center program goals and contractual obligations.
- Assist the Assistant Director of Education Services in leading instructional team projects and initiatives including but not limited to: curriculum design and selection, test coordination, program exhibitions, and instructional resources allocation.
- Work as part of an interdisciplinary team with instructional team, placement staff, and college advisors to ensure participants’ education and career needs, interests, and goals are being met; participate in case conferencing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and practice the principals of positive youth development.
- Participate in relevant departmental, agency, and external agency meetings, trainings, case conferences, workshops and events.
- Handle any appropriate additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by Supervisor and/or Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field required, Master’s preferred
- Minimum of three years classroom teaching experience working with high-risk adolescent population a multi-cultural vulnerable young adult population (foster care, court involved, runaway and homeless or teen parent, etc.)
- Experience working in Youth Development
- Experience in curriculum design and implementation
- Experience incorporating and using technology in instruction
- Ability to closely collaborate with colleagues and function as part of a team to promote successful outcomes for youth
- Ability to model work readiness skills and appropriate work place behavior at all times
- Ability to work well in a fast paced environment and multitask while adhering to deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong computer skills required
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and challenge students to achieve a high level of performance through rigorous academic performance
Hours: Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: Between $45,000. – $50,000. plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.