Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help young people, who are in school, out-of-school and out-of work, to assess, set, and obtain their educational and career goals. CareerED services specifically allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence.
If your passion is working with young people then The Door is the place for you. You are a rising junior interested in supporting young people successfully move up an education and occupation ladder towards economic self- sufficiency. You are not afraid of a fast paced environment and you have a strong ability to multi task! You will bring your creativity flair and assist the Recruitment and Outreach Coordinator with marketing, outreach, recruitment, mentoring and coaching. Specifically, you will work with participants who are have are slated to be placed in our retail and culinary trainings and employment. This is a fabulous opportunity for you to hone in on their interview and assessment skills as well as effective ways to engage underserved populations of young people.
• Provide administrative support to Recruitment Coordinator in areas of outreach, recruitment and enrollment
• Assist in the collection of forms and personal/vital documents of prospective participants
• Track participants through application process, communicating missing items and next steps
• Assist Recruitment Coordinator with 1:1 intake interview with prospective participants
• Serve as a liaison and attend outreach events to promote WRCS program and the Career Services Department
• Assist with the planning and facilitation of awards ceremonies, alumni gatherings and other special events
• Assist with facilitation of information sessions and orientation
• Interest in working with urban youth
• Sensitivity to the unique needs and interests of young people
• Students entering or studying beyond their third year of college preferred
• Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word & Excel) and resourceful in performing research
• Work independently and as part of a team
• Must be well organized, detailed oriented, and possess good follow-up skills
• Maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion when interacting with staff
• Work well in a fast paced environment and multitask while adhering to deadlines
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment
• Proficient in Spanish, French, or Mandarin is a plus
Hours: At least three full days per week
Contact: PLEASE UPLOAD RESUME, COVER LETTER, AND ALL ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS AS A PDF TO APPLY