Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 10,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help both in-school and out-of-school youth to set and attain their educational and career goals. CareerED services allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence.
The Job and Internship Placement Specialist is responsible for cultivating and nurturing relationships with employers, training programs, unions, and other industry groups to provide job, internship, and sector-specific training opportunities that align with Advance and Earn participants’ career interests, goals, and abilities. The Job Placement Specialist will spend a significant portion of his/her time in the field meeting with employers, training providers, labor unions, and other industry groups to cultivate opportunities for Advance and Earn participants.
- Work with Advance and Earn participants to obtain internship and unsubsidized employment opportunities that align with career interests, goals, and abilities
- Initiate and maintain relationships with employers, business and industry representatives with hiring needs suited to skills, interests, and abilities of Door Career and Education participants; Identify and gain access to hiring personnel
- Develop sales pitch tailored to prospective employers and refine based on specifics of each employer and the industry sector
- Share information on job opportunities with the Advance and Earn team; train staff on the culture, expectations and requirements of each employer seeking to interview Advance and Earn participants
- Conduct individual and group job search sessions with Advance and Earn participants
- Assess and match Advance and Earn participants with job opportunities that meet their skills, abilities and interests.
- Assist Advance and Earn participants to complete job applications and prepare for interviews
- Conduct regular follow-up with employers who have hired participants and report results to appropriate staff
- Perform administrative duties including tracking all job referrals, placements, retention, and other job development activities daily and weekly
- Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by supervisor and/or directorQualifications:
- Bachelors Degree required, preferably in Business, Sales and/or marketing or related field
- At least 3 years of job development or directly related experience required, preferably with individuals with barriers to employment
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated experience in a team-based work environment
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate sound judgment, multitask, and take initiative
- Must be self-motivated individual with ability to meet placement targets
- Existing employer contacts and experience presenting to business/industry strongly required
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin preferred but not required
Hours: Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: High 40s, plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY