The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Career and Education Services Department in Soho and the South Bronx supports young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. As the Job Placement Specialist, you will cultivate and nurture relationships with employers, training programs, unions, and other industry groups to provide job, internship, and sector-specific training opportunities for participants.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Initiate and maintain relationships with employers, business and industry representatives with hiring needs Identify and gain access to hiring personnel.
- Develop sales pitch tailored to prospective employers and refine based on specifics of each employer and the industry sector.
- Share information on job opportunities with team; train staff on the culture, expectations and requirements of each employer seeking to interview participants.
- Conduct individual and group job search sessions with participants.
- Match young people with job opportunities that meet their skills, abilities and interests
- Support and help prepare young people with to applications and interviews
- Conduct regular follow-up with employers who have hired participants and report results to appropriate staff.
- Perform administrative duties
- Contribute new ideas for achieving and exceeding program and contractual targets.
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a Bachelors Degree required, preferably in Business, Sales and/or marketing or related field.
- You have 3+ years of job development, preferably with individuals with barriers to employment
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- You thrive in a busy environment and meet deadlines on time, all the time.
- Demonstrated experience in a team-based work environment
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate sound judgment, multitask, and take initiative
- Must be self-motivated individual with the ability to meet placement targets
- Existing employer contacts and experience presenting to business/industry strongly required
- You are proficient in Spanish, French, or Mandarin but not required.
Why You Should Join Our Team:
- You’re part of a mission-driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year) , 12 sick days, 3 personal days
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: High 40s- 50K plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY