Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help both in-school and out-of-school youth to set and attain their educational and career goals. CareerED services allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence.
The Job Placement Specialist will develop and maintain relationships with employers with hiring needs suited to young adult job seekers with foster care backgrounds and work with these job seekers to obtain employment and successfully move up an education and occupation ladder towards economic self-sufficiency.
- Work with Foster Care youth in the Career and Education Department to prepare for and find unsubsidized employment; meet weekly, monthly, and quarterly placement targets required by government and private funders.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with employers, business and industry representatives with hiring needs suited to skills, interests, and abilities of Foster Care Youth in the Career and Education department; Identify and gain access to hiring personnel.
- Develop sales pitch tailored to prospective employers and refine based on specifics of each employer.
- Share information on job opportunities with the Career and Education team; train staff on the culture, expectations and requirements of each employer seeking to interview program participants.
- Collaborate with placement staff at The Door to share job leads and cross-refer young people for job opportunities.
- Conduct individual and group job search sessions with Career and Education Foster Care participants.
- Facilitate work readiness and career development workshops as needed to help prepare participants for internships and employment.
- Assess and match participants with job opportunities that meet their skills, abilities and interests.
- Assist participants to complete job applications and prepare for interviews.
- Conduct regular follow-up with employers who have hired participants and report results to appropriate staff
- Conduct regular follow-up with participants who have been placed in employment to track retention.
- Perform administrative duties including tracking all job referrals, placements, and other job and internship development activities daily and weekly.
- Contribute new ideas for achieving and exceeding program and contractual targets.
- Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by supervisor and/or director.
- Bachelors Degree required, preferably in Business, Sales and/or marketing or related field
- At least 2 years of job development or directly related experience required, preferably with Foster Care Youth
- Knowledge of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Marketing pitch and proven business development strategy
- Effective organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated experience in a team-based work environment
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate sound judgment, multitask, and take initiative
- Must be self-motivated individual with ability to meet placement targets
- Existing employer contacts and experience presenting to business/industry strongly required
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin preferred
Hours: Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: Mid 40s
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter to APPLY: