The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help young people, who are in school, out-of-school and out-of work, to assess, set, and obtain their educational and career goals. CareerED services specifically allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence. The Career Advancement Coach is responsible for providing intensive support, mentoring, coaching, and case management services to assist participants to successfully move up an education and occupation ladder towards economic self-sufficiency. Specifically, the Career Advancement Coach will work with participants who are part of our Retail Career Advancement Project, specifically working with participants who have been placed in retail employment to gain the skills and education needed for progression and career advancement. In this capacity, the Career Advancement Coach will be the primary point person for the young person during the duration of his/her participation in EPOCH working closely with GED instructors, learning strategists, career readiness instructors, job developers, college advisors, and employers to ensure the young person is meeting his/her career and education goals.
- Overseas outreach, recruitment, and enrollment of new participants into the Work Readiness and Customer Service program. Conduct initial assessments and work with a caseload of young people to develop and achieve benchmarked individualized educational and career goal plans and ensure that they are the right fit for the program.
- Provide individual and group career coaching sessions around successful job performance, career advancement pathways in the retail industry, connecting career progression with education, and other topics related to career advancement.
- Provide case management services including information, referrals, assistance in accessing child care, health, mental health, and other support service that will assist participants to achieve career and education goals. This may include site visits to courts, hospitals, schools, or work sites for mandatory and celebratory event.
- Monitor and track participants’ attendance, progress and achievement of career and education goal plans from point of enrollment until program completion.
- Provide case management services including information, referrals, assistance in accessing child care, health, mental health, and other support service that will assist participants to achieve career and education goals. This may include site visits to courts, hospitals, schools, or work sites for mandatory and celebratory events.
- Facilitate information and orientation sessions, career readiness, professional development, and life skills, sector base workshops (not limited to culinary and retail fields), for participants; ensure participants complete a professional development portfolio.
- Ensure participants obtain national certification provided by program (not limited to Serve Safe and National Retail Federation)
- Collect and maintain all participant documentation, case management records, progress notes, and outcomes data as related to EPOCH program goals and contractual obligations.
- Work as part of an interdisciplinary team with instructional team, placement staff, and college advisors to ensure participants’ education and career needs, interests, and goals are being met; participate in case conferencing as specified by supervisors.
- Participate in recruitment, orientation and intake efforts for Door career and education programming.
- Conduct prospecting, screening, and enrollment of young people for performance-based contracts.
- Conduct site visits to employment, training, and education sites to provide support, verify employment/attendance, and obtain documentation.
- Develop a transitional or exit service plan for participants who have successfully completed or no longer able to participate in career and education services at The Door.
- Provide coverage and support during program activities; develop and facilitate community meetings, award ceremonies, alumni gatherings, and other special events.
- Provide feedback to the Career and Education Services team regarding young people’s education and placement experiences, challenges, and successes, to help inform the content and structure of program services.
- Ensure that all culinary and retail training participants are provided with ongoing engagement and retention support for up to one year post service completion
- Participate in relevant departmental, agency, and external agency meetings, training, case conferences, workshops, and events.
- Handle any appropriate additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by Supervisor and/or Director.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Sociology, Urban Policy, Education, or related field strongly preferred or extensive related professional experience
- Two years’ experience in youth development, preferably employment, career-oriented programs and/or youth development programs required
- Prior experience in working with vulnerable youth populations (foster care, court involved, runaway and homeless or teen parent, etc.) and ability to apply positive youth development principles
- Prior experience providing education/employment-related case management, career readiness, and employment retention services working with a multi-cultural young adult population
- Experience with performance-based contracts.
- Ability to create and facilitate workshops and trainings
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and multitask while adhering to deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong computer skills required
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment
- Prior experience in culinary, food or retail service preferred
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin preferred
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: High $40’s to $50k, plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broom Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broom Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.