Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Door’s Career and Education programs are designed to help young people assess, set, and attain their educational and career goals. Career and education services specifically allows a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence. The Job Placement Specialist will develop and maintain relationships with employers with hiring needs suited to young adult job seekers and work with these job seekers to obtain employment.
- Work with young adults in the Door’s career and education programs to find unsubsidized employment; meet weekly, monthly, and quarterly placement targets required by government and private funders.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with employers, business and industry representatives with hiring needs suited to skills, interests, and abilities of Door Career and Education participants; Identify and gain access to hiring personnel.
- Develop sales pitch tailored to prospective employers and refine based on specifics of each employer.
- Share information on job opportunities with the Career and Education team; train staff on the culture, expectations and requirements of each employer seeking to interview program participants.
- Conduct individual and group job search sessions with Career and Education participants.
- Assess and match participants with job opportunities that meet their skills, abilities and interests.
- Assist participants to complete job applications and prepare for interviews.
- Conduct regular follow-up with employers who have hired participants and report results to appropriate staff.
- Perform administrative duties including tracking all job referrals, placements, and other job development activities daily and weekly.
- Contribute new ideas for achieving and exceeding program and contractual targets.
- Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by supervisor and/or director.
- Bachelors Degree required, preferably in Business, Sales and/or marketing or related field
- At least 3 years of job development or directly related experience required, preferably with individuals with barriers to employment
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrated experience in a team-based work environment
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate sound judgment, multitask, and take initiative
- Must be self-motivated individual with ability to meet placement targets
- Existing employer contacts and experience presenting to business/industry strongly required
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin preferred but not required
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: High 40’s plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY