The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Door’s Legal Services Center is an office of twelve attorneys, three support staff, and one social worker. We specialize in serving vulnerable youth, including those who are homeless, undocumented, and/or LGBTQ. The Center seeks law student interns for summer 2019 to represent young people in immigration, family law, foster care, housing, and other matters. Our immigration practice focuses on pursuing forms of humanitarian relief including Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, asylum, U visas, and T visas. Our civil practice focuses on representing youth in matters such as family law, landlord/tenant matters, and public benefits.
- Interview clients
- Draft correspondence
- Write affidavits and motions
- Perform short legal research assignments
- Prepare immigration applications
- Advocate with government agencies
- Have the opportunity to appear on the record in Family Court, Immigration Court, and/or in administrative hearings
- Experience working with adolescents and/or clients in crisis is valued but not required.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Proficiency in Spanish, Mandarin, Haitian Creole, or French is preferred
- Must be a current law student (1L, 2L, 3L)
Hours: 35 hours per week for 10 weeks
Application Instruction: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY