The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 10,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Door’s Legal Services Center provides civil legal services to young people in matters such as immigration, public benefits, housing and family law. We are a team of 12 attorneys, a social worker, a paralegal and an administrator. For more than twenty years, the Center has been at the forefront of representing undocumented children and youth. We represent undocumented youth in a range of immigration matters, including Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, Asylum, and U and T Visas. We represent clients in affirmative applications and also defend clients in removal proceedings.
The Managing Attorney will lead a team of 3-5 attorneys and paralegals while maintaining his/her own caseload. The Managing Attorney will be responsible for all aspects of the team’s performance, including supervision, performance, and grant compliance.
- Manage a team of 3-5 attorneys and/or paralegals, plus interns and volunteers, ensuring the quality of all legal work
- Oversee the team’s grant compliance, including data gathering, deliverables, reporting, and audits
- Represent young people ages 12-21 in immigration and other legal matters
- Coordinate efforts with partners in the immigration, legal services, and youth development fields
- Collaborate with other departments at The Door to promote services for immigrant youth
- Represent The Door in local and national advocacy effort
- Perform annual reviews of staff performance
- Assist in the recruitment and training of new attorneys, paralegals, interns and volunteers as needed
- Perform duties of Legal Services Director in her absence, as assigned
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director
- J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar or willingness to sit for next available exam.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in immigration and/or family law.
- Experience in supervising attorneys and in managing projects.
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Mandarin strongly preferred
Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
The Door is an Equal Opportunity Employer/ Program.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.