Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Door’s Legal Services Center advances the rights of youth by providing direct legal services and using a range of legal strategies and advocacy. Situated within the larger Door community in which services are provided in a range of areas, the Center attempts to address legal problems in a holistic and client-driven manner, with a special area of expertise in the provision of civil legal services. The Managing Attorney will lead a team of attorneys, paralegals, social workers and administrative assistants while maintaining his/her own caseload. The Managing Attorney will be responsible for all aspects of the team’s performance, including supervision, performance, and grant compliance.
- Manage a team of attorneys, paralegals, social workers and administrative assistants, plus interns and volunteers, ensuring the quality of all legal work.
- Oversee the team’s grant compliance, including data gathering, deliverables, reporting, and audits.
- Represent young people ages 12-24 in immigration and other legal matters.
- Coordinate efforts with partners in the immigration, legal services, and youth development fields.
- Collaborate with other departments at The Door to promote services for immigrant youth.
- Represent The Door in local and national advocacy efforts.
- Perform annual reviews of staff performance.
- Assist in the recruitment and training of new attorneys, paralegals, and other staff as needed.
- Perform duties of Legal Services Director in her absence, as assigned.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director.
- J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar or willingness to sit for next available exam.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in immigration and/or family law.
- Experience in supervising attorneys and in managing projects.
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Mandarin strongly preferred
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday – Friday, 35 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package
Contact: Submit Cover Letter and Resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.