The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Legal Services Center advances the rights of youth by providing direct legal services in areas such as immigration, public benefits, family law, and housing. Situated within the larger Door community, the Center addresses legal problems in a holistic and client-driven manner. As the Managing Attorney, you will represent young people in immigration and also be responsible for all aspects of the team’s performance, including supervision, performance, and grant compliance.
What You Will Be Doing:
- You will manage a team of attorneys, paralegals, social workers and administrative assistants, interns and volunteers
- You will oversee the team’s grant compliance
- You will coordinate with partners in the fields and collaborate with colleagues to promote services for immigrant youth
- Represent The Door in local and national advocacy efforts
- You will assist in the recruitment and training of new staff
- Perform duties of Legal Services Director in her absence
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar or willingness to sit for next available exam
- You have 5+ years of experience in immigration and/or family law
- Experience in supervising attorneys and in managing projects
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices.
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Mandarin strongly preferred
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus benefits
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.