The Door and Broome Street Academy are affiliated New York City nonprofits that tackle the complex issues surrounding poverty for 11,000 young people every year.
The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
A major initiative within The Door, Broome Street Academy, is a unique charter high school that prepares New York City’s most vulnerable youth for a successful future through rigorous academics paired with supports of The Door.
Position Summary: The Managing Director of Communications and Marketing oversees all aspects of the communications, visual design, and marketing efforts, and branding efforts in support of The Door’s and Broome Street Academy’s brand-building and fundraising goals. The Managing Director of Communications and Marketing will have demonstrated skills in social, digital, and media relations developed over 5+ years of full-time experience.
We’re looking for a doer with superb writing skills and a keen eye for graphic communications, who thrives in a rapidly changing, team-based environment, and skillfully juggles many competing priorities while working effectively under deadline. We’re looking for someone who thinks strategically, takes the initiative, enjoys managing and inspiring your colleagues, and who is a proven manager of complex projects.
The Managing Director of Communications and Marketing will manage the Communications Associate, as well as work collaboratively with the Managing Director, Individual Giving particularly as it relates to annual appeals and special events. The ideal candidate is also committed to achieving the racial equity and inclusion goals of the organizations and will incorporate this commitment in the various aspects of the work.
- Strategic Communications Planning: Develop an annual strategic communications plan for each organization, complete with creative, targeted tactics that complement the Development Department’s larger fundraising goals for the year; as well as supporting the goal of community engagement, recruitment, and advocacy.
- Brand Awareness:
- Build The Door and Broome Street Academy’s brand identities with external audiences
- Develop and manage brand standards
- Work closely with the Communications Associate to manage the development of organizational messaging and materials for various target audiences
- Brand Management:
- Manage the brand guidelines for each agency, and partner with staff to ensure that fliers and publications are branded correctly
- Use Adobe Creative Suite to create branded digital and print graphics (particularly for social media)
- Media Relations:
- Serve as the primary media contact for The Door and Broome Street Academy
- Develop and implement a strategic annual media plan, focused on raising overall organizational visibility, as well as targeted visibility of key programs and leadership staff
- Identify additional opportunities for media engagement and field media inquiries and interview requests with an eye towards each organization’s communications goals
- Grow and update media contact list, and build relationships with members of the media
- Write and distribute press releases, letters to the editor, and pitch stories to media
- Coordinate media events and staff media interviews
- Provide media skills training workshops to organizational staff and participants, as needed
- Publications: Supervise the creation, writing, and production of print and digital materials including, but not limited to, brochures, annual reports, invitations, and collateral for special events and initiatives
- Online Communications:
- Provide primary oversight and quality control of websites for The Door and Broome Street Academy
- Supervise the Communications Associate in the development of all online content, including social media, website updates, e-newsletters, etc.
- Donor Communications: Provide guidance to the Managing Director, Individual Giving, on donor communications initiatives, including but not limited to annual individual giving campaigns and cultivation events
- Other: Manage special projects
Qualifications and Preferred Skills
- BA/BS degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of experience, preferably in communications, marketing/public relations, fundraising or non-profit administration, with considerable writing experience
- Superior communication, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to perform under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated media relations expertise
- Demonstrated outreach and marketing skills
- Ability to work efficiently and quickly on diverse assignments
- Demonstrated awareness and sensibility for print and web-based communications and marketing
- Minimum 2 years’ experience supervising staff
- Graphic design skills, including current knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Interest in the non-profit sector, and personal commitment to the missions and equitable cultures of The Door and Broome Street Academy.
Hours: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits
Contact: Please submit cover letter and resume to Apply
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.