Position: Medical Assistant
Supervisor: Clinical Manager
Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
- Assist in the orientation of the client to the health center.
- Assist in providing comfort for clients in examination room
- Responsible for maintaining an orderly, well-stocked examination room and conducting periodic inventory; order necessary supplies as delegated by Supervisor; and complete timely Request for Payments.
- Screen charts for needed routine lab tests and complete appropriate forms to facilitate this process as much as possible for the practitioner.
- Measure height, weight, blood pressure, temperature and pulse for clients as needed.
- Function as a team member by working directly with nurse practitioner, medical doctors, health educators, lab staff, and other members of the health team to coordinate the smooth flow of the health center.
- Responsible for the care, cleanliness and sterilization of equipment.
- Assist in emergency measures by knowing location of emergency equipment and/or acting as messenger as needed.
- Provide clerical support as assigned by Clinical Manager, Medical Directors, or other health center supervisors as needed, Tasks may include: make folders for exam rooms/providers; conduct follow-up calls; pull vaccination reports from CIR; etc.
- As needed, perform waived laboratory testing, phlebotomy, scan lab results, and package specimens for pickup. This is not a primary job function.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Phlebotomy skills (certification or equivalent by a national phlebotomy association preferred)
- Proven ability providing patient privacy and confidentiality
- Genuine interest in health care and health education
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin preferred
Salary: Low 40s
Hours: 35 hours per week
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.