Founded in 1972, The Door empowers educationally and economically disadvantaged youth to reach their potential by providing a complete range of services all under one roof. Each year over 11,000 young people from all five New York City boroughs come to The Door for primary health care, reproductive care and health education, mental health counseling, legal services, supportive housing, GED, ESL, tutoring and homework help, college preparation and computer classes, career & education services, job placement, daily meals, cultural arts and services.
Under the supervision of the Lead NP, the Nurse Practitioner will function in an expanded role in the areas of primary care, reproductive health, and gynecology.
- Assess the health status of family planning, primary care and reproductive health patients via history taking, physical examination, and laboratory tests within his/her scope of practice
- Plan and provide primary health care, utilizing consultation and referrals when needed
- Recognize and manage specific common deviation from wellness and health maintenance which is determined by protocol or consultation with physician staff
- Prescribe drugs, devices, immunizing agents, tests and procedures as medically indicated
- Work with patients (and family, if applicable) to ensure an understanding of and compliance with the therapeutic regimen with established protocols, and recognize when to refer the patient to a physician or other health care provider
- Perform other relevant duties as delegated by supervisor
- Currently licensed/registered by the state of New York as a Registered Nurse AND Nurse Practitioner
- Nurse Practitioner board certification required Family NP preferred
- Three plus years’ experience preferred
- Knowledge of and ability to apply, positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Experience working with LGBT-identified, runaway and homeless, foster care and immigrant youth populations
- Demonstrates ability to work in a holistic, multidisciplinary setting and closely collaborate with colleagues as part of an interdisciplinary team to promote successful outcomes for youth
- Adolescent Health, Women’s Health and/or Family Planning experience preferred
- Knowledge of effects of trauma on adolescent development and experience with providing trauma informed care preferred
- Clinical experience as an Registered Nurse in a hospital setting preferred
- Strong LARC procedural skills preferred
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills, time management and documentation skills, including the ability to work independently, assess priorities and take initiative
- Proficiency in use of electronic medical records, preferably eClinicalWorks (eCW) software
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Mandarin strongly preferred
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday – Friday, 35 hours a week with some evening hours required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience plus excellent Benefits/PTO offered
Contact: Submit cover letter & resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.