The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 10,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Medical Director, the Nurse Practitioner will function in an expanded role in the areas of primary care, reproductive health and gynecology.
- Assess the health status of family planning, primary care and reproductive health patients via history taking, physical examination, and laboratory tests within his/her scope of practice
- Plan and provide primary health care, utilizing consultation and referrals when needed
- Recognize and manage specific common deviation from wellness and health maintenance which is determined by protocol or consultation with physician staff
- Prescribe drugs, devices, immunizing agents, tests and procedures as medically indicated
- Work with patients (and family, if applicable) to ensure an understanding of and compliance with the therapeutic regimen with established protocols, and recognize when to refer the patient to a physician or other health care provider
- Perform other relevant duties as delegated by supervisor
- Currently licensed/registered by the state of New York as a Registered Nurse AND Nurse Practitioner
- Nurse Practitioner board certification required
- Three plus years’ experience preferred; A minimum of one year of experience as a Nurse Practitioner required
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Experience working with LGBT-identified, runaway and homeless, foster care and immigrant youth populations
- Knowledge of effects of trauma on adolescent development and experience with providing trauma informed care preferred
- Demonstrates ability to work in a holistic, multidisciplinary setting and closely collaborate with colleagues as part of an interdisciplinary team to promote successful outcomes for youth
- Adolescent Health, Women’s Health and/or Family Planning experience preferred
- Strong LARC procedural skills preferred
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills, time management and documentation skills, including the ability to work independently, assess priorities and take initiative
- Proficiency in use of electronic medical records, preferably eCW
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Mandarin strongly preferred
The Door is an Equal Opportunity Employer/ Program.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.