The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports, and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Legal Services Center provides civil legal services to young people in matters such as immigration, public benefits, housing, and family law. We are a team of 22 attorneys, 4 social workers, 8 paralegals, and 3 administrative assistants. For more than twenty years, the Center has been at the forefront of representing undocumented children and youth. We represent undocumented youth in a range of immigration matters, including Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, Asylum, and U and T Visas. We represent clients in affirmative applications, defend clients in removal proceedings, and work with unaccompanied minors detained in federal custody.
As the Paralegal, you will assist attorneys in liaising with clients and preparing applications for immigration benefits. The Paralegal will also work closely with the Managing Attorney and Director of Legal Services on grant management and compliance.
What You Will Be Doing:
- You will screen clients for eligibility for immigration relief
- You will support attorneys with immigration applications and cases.
- Provide interpretation services to attorneys and other service providers at The Door
- Manage complex government and foundation grants and report to funders on grant progress
- Maintain databases and monitor grant compliance
- Prepare for and manage audits
- You will manage volunteers and undergraduate interns
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree and 1+ years of paralegal or advocacy experience.
- Full professional proficiency in Spanish is required.
- It’s a plus if you have experience working with youth and/or immigrant populations
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices and you work as a team to promote successful outcomes for youth.
- You are passionate about accuracy and thrive in a busy environment with excellent communication skills.
- You have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth.
- Health and Dental Insurance through 1199 at no cost to the employee
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Salary: High 40s to mid 50s, plus generous benefits
Hours: 35 hours per week
Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.