The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Legal Services Center provides civil legal services to young people in matters such as immigration, public benefits, housing and family law. We are a team of attorneys, social workers, paralegals and an administrator. For more than twenty years, the Center has been at the forefront of representing undocumented children and youth. We represent undocumented youth in a range of immigration matters, including Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, Asylum, and U and T Visas. We represent clients in affirmative applications and also defend clients in removal proceedings. As the Paralegal you will provide support for the Center’s immigration practice, in connection with the Center’s expansion to serve detained immigrant youth.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Under attorney supervision, screen unaccompanied children (UCs) and provide legal orientations and full screenings for immigration relief
- Manage complex government and foundation grants and report to funders on grant progress
- Maintain databases and monitor grant compliance
- Assist attorneys with forms, drafting affidavits, research, and assisting with interview and hearing preparation
- Provide interpretation services to attorneys and other service providers
- Manage volunteers and undergraduate interns
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree and 1+ year of paralegal or advocacy experience.
- You are proficient in Spanish.
- Experience working with youth and/or immigrant populations preferred
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices.
- You are passionate about accuracy and thrive in a busy environment with excellent communication skills.
- You work as a team to promote successful outcomes for youth.
- Strong database and computer skills
- You are willing to be an advocate for your program, participants and community
- You have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth.
- Health and Dental Insurance through 1199 at no cost to the employee
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: High 40s, to mid 50s, plus generous benefits
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY