The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
University Settlement’s College Paths program seeks to increase the number of youth from disadvantaged backgrounds who complete high school or equivalent and enroll in post-secondary education institutions of their choice. The program is hosted at University Settlement’s sister agency The Door, whose mission is to empower young people to reach their potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment.
Tutoring is provided to The Door’s after-school tutoring program and the High School Equivalency program. As the Tutor, you will help students achieve their academic goals, including passing New York State’s high school equivalency exam (the TASC), passing the New York State Regents, scoring at a college-ready level on the CUNY entrance exams, or improving their SAT scores. You will work with students one-on-one or in small group sessions, providing academic support in a subject area of their choice.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Conduct weekly sessions with students who request or are assigned to tutoring
- Deliver tutoring in one-on-one or small group sessions, depending on the need
- Check-in with the supervisor regarding the progress of each student
- Attend periodic meetings with classroom teachers and other program staff to coordinate instruction
- Maintain basic documentation (sign-in sheet) for all tutoring sessions
What We Are Looking For:
- You have at least a High school diploma or HSE.
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices
- You have experience working with young people.
- You are comfortable in teaching mathematics and/or literacy and with SATs, NYS Regents, and TASC.
- A huge plus if you are Bi-lingual in French, Spanish, or Chinese.
- Basic computer skills.
Hours and Commitment:
- Tutors in our After-School program should be available Monday – Friday 2pm – 6:00 PM and/or Saturday from 9:00AM- 4PM
- Tutors in our High School Equivalency program will work a flexible schedule Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
- It is possible to work in one or both programs. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter.
- Positions are available for a minimum of 6-8 hours per week for up to 20 hours per week. This is a temporary, part-time position grant-funded through this school year.
Rate: $20 per hour
Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.