Supervisor: Assistant Director of Education Services
Overview: The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help both in-school and out-of-school youth to set and attain their educational and career goals. CareerED services allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence. The Door’s Bronx Youth Center aims to prepare out-of-school and out-of-work young people for meaningful placements in college and/or employment through the provision of comprehensive education and career services, which develop potential for economic self-sufficiency.
Who you are:
- Someone who wants to develop and implement all college and post-secondary programming.
- Someone who has at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field.
- Someone who has experience in career or education settings surrounding multi-cultural young adult populations.
- You have had previous experience in outreach and conducting presentations.
- You are skilled in writing, oral presenting and utilizing computers.
- You have sound judgement and are a role model for youth.
- You thrive working under pressure.
- You are bilingual in Spanish (preferred but not required).
What you will be doing:
- Developing and implementing college transition and postsecondary programming.
- Coordinating college awareness activities including college awareness workshops and college trips
- Providing college access services to participants including assistance with college, financial aid and scholarship applications.
- Serving as a coach for participants who are in college or college-bound.
- Working with students to prepare for college entrance tests such as the CUNY Placement Exam.
- Working with the Assistant Director of Education Services to infuse college awareness into the pre-HSE and HSE curricula.
- Working with the Assistant Director of Education Services to implement and manage Bridge Programs.
- Creating and maintaining a network of partners across higher education institutions, local schools, and organizations as related to academic support and college access related initiatives to design and continually expand on postsecondary educational opportunities for young people.
- Providing technical assistance and guidance to Bronx Youth Center staff in the college application and enrollment process.
- Using the Bronx Youth Center data management system to enter participant data including assessment information, progress notes, college placement and retention data and review data to inform program services.
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary staff to develop and facilitate Bronx Youth Center and Door-wide programming and events.
- Handling any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by supervisor and the Bronx Youth Center Director.
Why You Should Join Our Team:
- You are part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre-Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: Monday through Friday(9:00am-5:00pm), 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed. Due to COVID-19, currently remote and subject to change based on CDC guidelines.
Salary: Commensurate based on experience and a generous benefits package
Contact: Please submit your cover letter and resume to APPLY!
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.