The F.A.Q.S. from The Door
Adolescent Health Center Text Line
Text “thedoor” to 66746 and get your answers when you need them.
The Facts. Simple and Confidential
P.S. This line is 4 personalized answers 2 ur questions, not 4 emergencies. If ur having an emergency call 911 or go 2 the ER!
U got questions. We have answers.
See our Frequently Asked Questions about:
Q: The condom popped and I don’t want my girl to get pregnant. Is there anything I can do?
- A: Yes! If it’s been less than 5 days since the condom broke, ur girl can take the morning after pill (a.k.a. PlanB or EC). If she’s a Door member, she can call 4 an appointment – 212-453-0222, or she can come in ASAP 2 become a member. Women + men over 17 can also buy EC over the counter @ a pharmacy, but it costs about $50. Either way, don’t wait! It works best the sooner it’s taken.
Q: Can I get pregnant if my boyfriend pulls out?
- A: Yes, it’s possible. Pulling out is not the best way 2 prevent pregnancy because it’s still possible 4 sperm 2 get inside. Even guys who can tell when they’re going 2 cum can’t always pull out fast enough. Better ways 2 make sure u don’t get pregnant r using a condom EVERY time and using birth control. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator more about ur question.
Q: Can I get EC for my girlfriend?
- A: The policy @ The Door is that only females can come in + get EC for free (for their own use!). But, anyone (male or female) over 17 can buy it over the counter @ a drugstore for about $50. Ur girlfriend can call us 4 an appointment 4 EC @ 212-453-0222. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator for more info.
Q: What should I do if the condom broke during sex?
- A: We understand why ur concerned! If u or ur partner r worried about getting pregnant, call 4 an appointment for planB asap @ 212-453-0222. A female has 120 hours after unprotected sex 2 take planB + the sooner she takes it, the more likely it is 2 be effective. So, don’t wait! U can also come in 4 an STD check. Feel free 2 just come in + talk 2 a health educator 4 more info.
Q: I had unprotected sex almost 7 days ago. Now, I think I might be pregnant and idk what to do.
- A: Take a deep breath, this is what we’re here for – 1 step @ a time. It’s 2 late 4 planB, but 2 early 4 a pregnancy test. If ur period is late, come in 4 a walk-in pregnancy test. No matter what the test says, we’ll help u figure out ur next steps – NO JUDGEMENTS! Or, feel free 2 just come in + talk 2 a health educator.
Q: It burns when I pee. Does that mean I have something?
- A: Not necessarily. If u feel something that is not normal 4 U, come in + get checked. It might not be serious, but it’s important 2 make sure. 4 an appointment, call 212-453-0222. Or, feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator.
Q: I’ve got these weird looking bumps down there. Does that mean I have something?
- A: Not necessarily. Bumps can sometimes appear when skin is just irritated. But, if u notice something that is not normal 4 U, come in + get checked. It might not be serious, but it’s important 2 make sure. 4 an appointment, call 212-453-0222 or feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator.
Q: What color is discharge normally?
- A: Different things r normal 4 different people. But, if ur experiencing discharge that is not normal 4 U, come in asap 2 get checked. Call 212-453-0222 for an appointment or feel free 2 just come in + talk 2 a health educator.
Q: Are crabs considered an STD?
- A: Yes – Crabs r considered an STD or STI even tho they are technically a parasite + not a disease. Luckily, crabs r very treatable. If ur concerned about a possible infection, call 4 an appointment 2 get checked @ 212-453-0222.
Q: Can you get an STD from HPV?
- A: HPV actually is an STD and can be transmitted during sex. If ur concerned about having an STD, come in 4 a check! 4 appointments call 212-453-0222 or feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator about ur question.
Q: Can I get an STD if someone ejaculates in my mouth and I swallow?
- A: Yes – if the person has an STD + they ejaculate in ur mouth u can get an STD. In fact, semen AND pre-cum can transmit STDs. Plus, some STDs r transmitted from skin 2 skin contact. So, even if u don’t have semen in ur mouth, u could still be exposed. If ur concerned, feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator about ur question or come in 4 an STD check. Call 4 an appointment @ 212-453-0222.
Q: How do I cure a yeast infection?
- A: Yeast infections + some other similar bacterial vaginal infections can be easily taken care of right here @ The Door. If u r concerned that u have an infection, call 4 an appointment ASAP @ 212-453-0222.
Q: Is foreskin unsanitary or dirty?
- A: Nope – foreskin is just a fold of skin. It’s not unsanitary or dirty and gets washed regularly just like behind ur ears. There r a lot of myths about foreskin, tho. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator 4 more info.
Q: If it hurts during intercourse, does that mean there’s something wrong with ur insides?
- A: Sex should not be painful. If something hurts, STOP! It might not be that something’s wrong/ Sometimes sex doesn’t work out on a particular day + that’s ok. Sex in real life is usually not like it is in movies + TV. It’s important 2 be able 2 talk with ur partner about what feels good + what doesn’t. But if ur concerned, come get a check. Call 212-453-0222 for an appointment or feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator about ur question.
Q: How do I know if I’m satisfying my partner?
- A: Ask them! Pleasure + satisfaction r different 4 different people, so the only way 2 know is 2 ask. 4 many couples, talking about sex makes them both feel MORE comfortable + have better sex. Sex should be fun + enjoyable 4 both people + NOT stressful. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator about ur question.
Q: I wasn’t circumcised and I’m afraid my partner won’t understand. What should I do?
- A: Good question. Lots of people have concerns about their bodies and what their partner will think. Both circumcision + foreskin r totally healthy and normal. Ur not alone. It’s very common 4 guys 2 be uncircumcised. U’ll probably feel relieved if u talk 2 ur partner about ur fears. If ur relationship is a good one, ur partner will find u attractive as u r. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator about ur question.
Q: Is it healthy to masturbate?
- A: Yes! Masturbation is safe + healthy 4 men AND women. Most people masturbate. It’s a good way 2 figure out what feels good 2 u + what u like. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator 4 more info.
Q: Is it normal for girls to masturbate?
- A: Yes, it’s very normal 4 girls. Masturbation is the safest form of sex and sometimes the most fun. It’s a good way 2 figure out what feels good 2 u + what u like. The clitoris is the main sexual pleasure spot 4 most girls. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator 4 more info.
Q: What is abstinence?
- A: Abstinence means not having sex, but people have different ideas of what sex is. So, people might have different ideas of what abstinence means. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator 4 answers 2 more questions.
Q:I kissed my best friend. Does that mean I’m gay?
- A: Not necessarily. Sometimes kissing is just experimenting. Lots of people have questions about their sexual orientation and lots of people experiment to see what they like + don’t like. People figure out their sexual orientation by who they r emotionally AND physically attracted 2. Regardless, u r however u label urself! Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator @ The Door about ur question.
Q: My boyfriend gets mad when I talk to my guy friends. Is that O.K.?
- A: Not if u r not ok with it. Good relationships involve trust. If u notice ur boyfriend gets mad @ things u think r fine, talk 2 him about it. It’s not fair 4 him 2 keep u from ur friends. Always remember, things should be equal in relationships. Feel free 2 come in + talk 2 a health educator more about ur question.