Legal & Immigration Services
To all Door Legal Clients:
The Legal Services Center is virtually open! Staff are working remotely and actively on your cases. You can still reach your attorneys, social workers, and case handlers via email or their usual phone number. Many court hearings and immigration appointments have been delayed at this time. Please contact your attorney if you have any questions about your particular case. Also, please reach out if you have questions about what types of benefits you may be eligible for, in relation to COVID-19, or if you’re in need of additional support during this time.
For young people wanting to access The Door’s Legal Services Center for the first time, or providers seeking to make referrals:
- Our weekly Criminal Law Clinic is still happening virtually, on Thursdays from 3 – 5 P.M.
- If interested, please contact Davisha Guerrier (firstname.lastname@example.org ; 212-941-9090 ext. 3280).
- For media requests, please contact Dave Hughes (email@example.com; 619-709-4043)
- To make contacting us easier, we’ve set up a hotline! To access the hotline, please call (516) 874-4801 between the hours of 2 – 5 P.M., Monday – Friday.
- Undocumented Youth and Families Resource Guide
- Action NYC Immigration Legal Services
- Know Your Rights – Public Charge
- DACA and the Coronavirus
Know your rights
It is important to understand your legal rights as a young person living in New York City. The Door’s Legal Services Center is here to provide you with different kinds of legal counsel. We offer services in English, Spanish and French, and can access translators for many other languages. We can help if you are:
- A recent immigrant, undocumented (living in the United States without the proper paperwork), or currently in deportation proceedings
- In foster care
- Pregnant or caring for a child
- Homeless and/or living without your parents, or having issues with your landlord
- In need of public benefits, such as Section 8 housing, food stamps, Medicaid or welfare, social security, etc.
- In need of help with family law issues such as paternity, child support, domestic violence, child custody and visitation rights
- Being victimized or stalked
- In need of proper forms of personal identification, such as a birth certificate, passport, non-driver’s license, etc.
Your DACA Status
For up to date information on DACA, please contact your attorney or the Legal Services Center to schedule an intake.
You can find more resources for free immigration services and information on DACA here.
Beyond the needs listed above, we also provide additional legal services. We hold a criminal law clinic at The Door every Thursday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., to provide information to young adults who are currently involved in the criminal legal system. Examples include transit tickets, arrest warrants, court dates, rap sheets and more. Contact Davisha Guerrier at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
To Make an Appointment
The first step to getting legal help is to become a Door member. Once you are a member, there are two ways you can make an appointment:
- Walk in to our offices on the 3rd floor of The Door anytime Monday through Friday from 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Call 212-941-9090, ext. 3280. If no one answers the phone, please leave a message and speak slowly, clearly and leave a phone number where we can call you back. Say your name and phone number twice so we can be sure to get the right information.
If you believe that your situation is an emergency, please alert a staff member in the Legal Services Center so that we can provide you with help as soon as possible. Emergency situations include losing your housing (eviction), losing public benefits, physical danger or violence, deportation proceedings, risk of having your child/children removed and put into foster care, or being a victim of human trafficking (meaning someone has brought you illegally to this country in exchange for payments or other benefits).
Pro Bono Support
The Legal Services Center is grateful to our private law firm partners who make it possible for us to meet our clients’ needs. Current partners include:
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP
Baker & McKenzie LLP
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP
Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
O’Melveny & Myers LLP
Proskauer Rose LLP
Shearman & Sterling LLP
Sher Tremonte LLP
Sidley Austin LLP
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
To learn more about the Legal Services Center, contact Davisha Guerrier at email@example.com or call 212-941-9090, ext. 3280.
The work of the Legal Services Center is made possible in part by a grant from The New York Bar Foundation.