Meet open minds in an open space
The Door’s members are truly diverse – black, Asian, Latino, gay, straight, immigrant, in foster care, out-of-school or out-of-work, our young people represent a true slice of New York City life. We take pride in that diversity and we aim to reflect it in all of our programs.
In addition to health, legal, education, counseling and career services, The Door provides a wide range of programs and services geared towards our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Questioning (LGBTQ) members, including:
- Individual and group counseling
- Crisis counseling
- Help if you are coming out, including tips for talking to your friends and family and how to find support
- Creative arts therapy
- Counseling groups that address the issues facing LGBTQ young people like sexual health, relationships and gender identity.
Recreational and Leadership Development Activities
- Film screenings
- Kiki Function and Kiki Coalition – weekly voguing and leadership development workshops
- Sexual health workshops
- Door-wide Pride month celebration activities and creation of a Door float for the Pride parade
In addition, The Door conducts outreach work on Pier 45 (the Christopher Street Pier) for LGBTQ young people in-need.