Position: Social Worker, RHY
Supervisor: Clinical Supervisor, RHY
Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Counselor will provide direct crisis intervention and short-term counseling for Runaway and Homeless Youth through our Drop-In services, new members through Membership Services, and crisis youth through our counseling department.
- Assess young people (through our Drop-In Services, Member Services, and Counseling Department) who are in crisis to provide support, information, referrals.
- Perform CS mandated reporting duties as needed.
- Provide suicide/homicidal assessments and appropriate follow-up with young people in collaboration with Supervisor.
- Meet with Door members who are experiencing serious mental illness and coordinate a treatment plan with them.
- Provide short-term counseling for Runaway and Homeless youth.
- Follow-up on referrals to Door case management, Care Coordination, and/or counseling services.
- Document all crisis and clinical work including any safety plans and referrals.
- Provide supportive groupwork for Runaway and Homeless Youth around transitioning into independent living and/or managing mental illness symptoms.
- Develop linkages with outside organizations and maintain accurate and detailed up-to-date referral resources withing the five boroughs.
- Participate in program and departmental meetings.
- Provide oversight of the drop-in space and provision of basic needs services.
- Other functions and responsibilities as assigned by RHY Clinical Supervisor.
- LMSW/LCSW/LMFC/LMHC required.
- Master’s degree in related field with two years relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to engage hard-to-reach populations.
- Familiarity and experience with trauma-informed approaches to service coordination and delivery
- Experience and/or knowledge working with street-involved youth
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Understanding of adolescent development, assessment, counseling, and/or crisis management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Mandarin strongly preferred
- Ability to work effectively and creatively as part of an interdisciplinary team
Hours: 35 hours per week, Monday – Friday, some nights required.
Salary: low to mid 60’s
Submit cover letter and resume to Apply
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.