The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Legal Services Center represents young people in matters such as immigration, public benefits, housing, and family law. We seek an Immigrant Youth Social Worker to work closely with unaccompanied children (UCs) who are in the Office of Refugee Resettlement (“ORR”) custody or have been recently released from detention to the greater New York area. As the Social Worker, you will provide case management and advocacy services to immigrant youth detained in ORR shelters in New York, as well as at The Door. You will collaborate with The Door’s attorneys, as well as ORR caseworkers and clients’ families to support our clients through the immigration process. In addition, you will connect clients to additional services throughout the city.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Provide case management to immigrant youth in custody or recently released from custody to the greater New York area
- Collaborate with ORR program staff to create release plans for detained children
- Evaluate client’s needs with subsequent referral and follow-up to other services as needed
- Provide case management services to help youth establish and work towards key goals
- Collaborate with team and external agencies around issues related to immigrant youth
- Write advocacy letters and affidavits in support of clients’ legal cases
- Provide training and technical support for The Door’s attorneys and other Door staff
- Develop and facilitate events and workshops for immigrant youth in response to client needs
- Document and report service delivery to ensure compliance with funding requirements
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a MSW and working towards your license.
- Professional proficiency in Spanish required
- You have 1+ year of case management experience in community based or legal settings
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices.
- Demonstrated ability in bringing about positive case management and/or care coordination outcomes with clients
- Experience working with low-income immigrant youth
- You are passionate about accuracy and thrive in a busy environment. Excellent oral and written communication skills
- You work as a team to promote successful outcomes for youth.
- You have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission-driven organization that empowers NYC youth.
- Health and Dental Insurance through 1199 at no cost to the employee
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: Low 50s to low 60s, plus generous benefits
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.