The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Legal Services Center advances the rights of youth by providing direct legal services in areas such as immigration, public benefits, family law, and housing. Situated within the larger Door community, the Center addresses legal problems in a holistic and client-driven manner. As the Staff Attorney, you will focus on the Center’s immigration practice, in connection with the Center’s expansion to serve detained immigrant youth. You will supervise a team of paralegals, interns, and volunteers and in providing intakes for unaccompanied children (UCs) in the Office of Refugee Resettlement custody. It’s a huge plus if you have experience working in a detained setting.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Review intakes and make determinations regarding eligibility for immigration relief
- Provide full representation to children who do not have reunification options and must remain in detention, as well as children who are released locally, in immigration matters such as asylum, SIJS, U Visas, and T Visas.
- Facilitate internal and external referrals to education, health care, and other services
- Liaise with Office of Refugee Resettlement and local shelters to best serve UCs in their immigration proceedings
- Lead initiatives advancing the legal rights of youth and facilitate opportunities for youth engagement
- Assist with legal education efforts, including planning and providing of workshops, producing legal education materials, and conducting outreach to social service and community-based organizations
- Document and report service delivery to ensure compliance with funding requirements
What We Are Looking For:
- J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar
- You have 1+ of experience in immigration law, including removal defense, SIJS, asylum U and T visas
- Professional proficiency in Spanish required
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices.
- You are passionate about accuracy and meet deadlines on time all the time.
- You thrive in a busy environment and able to shift hears when needed.
- You work as a team to promote successful outcomes for youth.
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Health and Dental Insurance through 1199 at no cost to the employee
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Salary: Mid 60s to 80s
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY