BROOME STREET ACADEMY CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR A STUDENT LIFE ASSOCIATE TO SUPPORT STUDENT DEVELOPMENT AND POSITIVE SCHOOL CULTURE AS A MEMBER OF THE STUDENT LIFE TEAM.
Broome Street Academy Charter High School (BSA) is a tuition-free public charter high school located in SoHo, educating students from all five boroughs, and devoted to providing students the necessary skills and support to graduate prepared for a successful future beyond high school. Our equitable, holistic, and student-centered approach will provide students with access to a rigorous, standards-based curriculum that will equip our graduates with the skills they need to make a positive impact on their communities and the broader world. Uniquely, BSA is the only charter school in the NYCDOE Community Schools portfolio because of our long-standing partnership with The Door, a revered non-profit organization celebrating 50 years of serving New York City’s young people in 2022. Our partnership allows us to serve the whole student and meet a variety of non-academic needs that clear the path for student learning.
We are an inclusive school community that values academic rigor, trauma informed practice, and student voice. Our Advanced Placement classes, athletics program, and extracurricular offerings give our students the full high school experience in a small, one-of-a-kind environment. Our admissions policy gives preference to siblings and students who are homeless, in foster care, or from low performing schools, though all students, regardless of their background, circumstance, race, gender or ethnicity are welcome, and encouraged to apply.
The primary role of the Student Life Associate is to support student development and positive school culture as a member of the Student Life Team. Student Life Associates help to create a calm and supportive environment in the school by ensuring consistency in daily operations, including supervising students in various settings. Student Life Associates are expected to model the school’s mission and values while assisting students in upholding BSA Student Code of Conduct. The Student Life Associates participate in all aspects of school life including classroom support, student activities and events, caregiver outreach, community celebrations and behavioral intervention. An ideal candidate is solutions oriented, communicative, prepared to work effectively on a team and enthusiastic about contributing to the lives of students.
- Supervise large and small groups of students inside and outside of the classroom, including hallways and lunch areas
- Work with teachers and other staff to address the individual needs of students
- Assist students in upholding BSA Student Code of Conduct
- Contribute to safe and inclusive environment
- Implement programs that respond to student and community need
- Engage and diffuse crisis situations
- Lead or participate in mediations between students
- Implement BSA Restorative Practices
- Maintain effective communication and rapport with students, staff, and caregivers
- Attend caregiver meetings as needed
- Participate in and contribute to grade level team meetings
- Implement and follow policies and procedures for behavior violations as directed by the Dean of Student Life
- Collaborate with BSA’s partner organization, The Door to maintain a safe community during and after school
- Perform other duties assigned as a member of the BSA community
- Associate degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Two or more years of experience working in a high school setting
- Ability to work effectively with adolescents, families, professionals, and other personnel from a wide range of cultural, social, and economic backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for working in a collaborative setting
- Clearly articulated investment in equity and justice-based approaches to youth work
- Ability to remain calm and supportive during conflict intervention
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Experience with using Google Suite: docs, sheets, forms etc.
- Relentless commitment to the academic success of all students
- Stamina to handle long days
- A flexible & creative solution-based approach
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday – Friday, 40 hours a week
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus a generous benefits package
Contact: Submit resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.