The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Legal Services Center advances the rights of youth by providing direct legal services in areas such as immigration, public benefits, family law, and housing. Situated within the larger Door community, the Center addresses legal problems in a holistic and client-driven manner. The Supervising Attorney will focus on the Center’s immigration practice and represent young people in immigration matters before family and immigration court.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Supervise junior attorneys, fellows, paralegals, social workers, and administrative assistants
- Facilitate internal and external referrals to education, health care, and other services
- Lead initiatives advancing the legal rights of youth and facilitate opportunities for youth engagement
- Assist with legal education efforts, including planning and providing workshops, producing legal education materials, and conducting outreach to social service and community-based organizations
- Document and report service delivery to ensure compliance with funding requirements
- Represent The Door before courts, agencies, local coalitions, and other external stakeholders
What We Are Looking For:
- You have a J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar
- You have 3+ years of experience in immigration law, including removal defense, SIJS, asylum, U and T visas, or comparable field
- Professional proficiency in Spanish or French required
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices.
- You are passionate about accuracy and meet deadlines on time all the time.
- You thrive in a busy environment and able to shift hears when needed.
- You work as a team to promote successful outcomes for youth.
- Supervisory experience
- You have a strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Why You Should Join Our Team
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year)
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.