Reports To: Managing Attorney
The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Door’s Legal Services Center advances the rights of youth by providing direct legal services in areas such as immigration, public benefits, family law, and housing. Situated within the larger Door community, the Center addresses legal problems in a holistic and client-driven manner. The Supervising Attorney will focus on the Center’s immigration practice.
- Represent young people ages 12 – 21 in immigration matters such as SIJS, asylum, U Visas, T Visas, and before family and immigration court.
- Supervise junior attorneys, fellows, paralegals, social workers and administrative assistants:
- Observe client interactions and court work, review written work; appear with and support junior attorneys in court.
- Supervise paralegals and social workers in intakes and client meetings, and case management tasks.
- Train employees on grant compliance, case management, and office procedures
- Facilitate internal and external referrals to education, health care, and other services
- Lead initiatives advancing the legal rights of youth and facilitate opportunities for youth engagement
- Assist with legal education efforts, including planning and providing of workshops, producing legal education materials, and conducting outreach to social service and community-based organizations
- Document and report service delivery to ensure compliance with funding requirements
- Represent The Door before courts, agencies, local coalitions and other external stakeholders
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Managing Attorney and/or Director
Qualifications and Requirements:
- J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar
- At least 3 years of experience in immigration law, including removal defense, SIJS, asylum, U and T visas, or comparable field
- Interest in a comprehensive approach to meeting the needs of young people
- Creative thinker with superior communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, time management and record keeping skills, including the ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and to effectively interact with young people, management and program staff
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Professional proficiency in Spanish or French required
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to: APPLY