The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Supervisor of College Advising will act as part of an inter-disciplinary team that will seek to increase the number of youth from disadvantaged backgrounds who complete high school or equivalent and enroll in post-secondary education institutions of their choice. This is accomplished through one-to-one advisement, small and large group workshops, and as part of on-campus college exploration opportunities. The applicant will provide services to in- and out-of-school youth of The Door community and local high schools. We are looking for a dynamic individual who has experience with admissions and financial aid processes, facilitation and curriculum design, and a commitment to positive youth development practices. Applicants should be independent, creative, energetic and flexible.
- Work one-on-one with the young people to develop and achieve individualized personal educational and career goals as related to secondary school or alternative success and post-secondary opportunity
- Provide advisement in selection and admissions process for post-secondary opportunities including but not limited two- and four-year public and private universities as well as vocational program and service initiatives
- Provide advisement in all aspects of financial aid process including scholarships and opportunity programs
- Prepare students for a successful transition to post-secondary opportunity (includes the development of Freshman 101 activities, and trips to local and out of state colleges and universities)
- Facilitate intake for new young people enrolling in College Paths, and enter intake and other participant demographic, service and outcome data into Salesforce database and assist with overall data management and reports for College Paths’ contractual obligations
- Supervise small team of college advisors and academic support staff
- Support Director of College and Academic Services in the supervision, development, and implementation of College Paths programs
- Participate as a member of an interdisciplinary staff in cross-departmental efforts to increase services to specific youth populations and provide appropriate support for young people including facilitating relationships between Door volunteers, interns, and participants
- Perform other responsibilities, special projects, and functions as assigned by supervisor or senior management
- Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Education or related field required
- Three years of experience in college access and success is mandatory
- Financial aid counseling experience preferred
- Knowledge of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Demonstrated skill in curriculum development
- Ability to facilitate groups and other learning activities and to foster team cohesion
- Excellent organizational ability coupled with a flexible approach to work
- Strong oral presentation, written, and computer skills
- Ability to demonstrate strong interpersonal skills across a range of audiences
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate sound judgment, multitask and take initiative
- Fluency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin is mandatory
Hours: 35 hours per week, some evening and occasional weekend hours as needed
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits package
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume Apply.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.