Overview: The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within The Door’s Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help both in-school and out-of-school youth to set and attain their educational and career goals. CareerED services allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence. The Door’s Bronx Youth Center (BYC) aims to prepare out-of-school and out-of-work young people for meaningful placements in college and/or employment through the provision of comprehensive education and career services, which develop potential for economic self-sufficiency.
In this capacity, The Supervisor of Education Services will oversee the education team, including management of staff, curriculum design, contractual performance, professional development, and program budgets; model successful instructional practices; lead integration of curricula and instruction over various educational tracks for participants, manage contracts or aspects of contracts related to education, and instruction of some aspects of Bridge programming at the Bronx Youth Center.
- Serve as an organizational expert in all aspects of teaching and learning, including current trends and research in the field of Education.
- Coordinate and oversee all instructional and administrative aspects of education programming.
- Maintain exceptional education programming that places an emphasis on high and measurable goals for student achievement, individualized learning strengths supported in highly differentiated classrooms and the value of the infusion of work readiness and practical, ‘hands on’ learning – to prepare young people to be life-long learners.
- Manage instructional models across the agency to ensure that curriculum development and teaching methods meet the needs of a diverse population of learners, are aligned with appropriate standards of learning and meet the contractual expectations and benchmarks set by funders.
- Design curricula aimed at providing out-of-school youth with the necessary reading, mathematical, science, social studies, and other skills required to meet their goals, including earning a High School Equivalency Diploma, earning acceptance into Post-Secondary schools, and being successful in our career training tracks.
- Provide classroom instruction as needed.
- Oversee instructional staff, including the design and implementation of professional development and training.
- Coordinate program evaluation and quality assurance activities, including regular assessment of participant progress.
- Develop and implement a variety of qualitative and quantitative participant assessments and integrate assessment techniques into program curricula.
- Manage all student assessment data through the use of database technologies, student portfolios, and other methods.
- Oversee maintenance of participant folders and ensure proper collection of documents, pre- and post-testing, and relevant data and case notes.
- Develop, implement, and maintain data collection systems to insure the preparation of statistical reports.
- Manage contracts or aspects of contracts related to education program and serve as liaison to funders, agencies and networking groups.
- Work as part of a team with the Bronx Youth Center management team and other managers within the overall Career and Education Department.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary staff in the development and facilitation of agency-wide programming and events.
- Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by Supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS NEEDED:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s degree in Education or related field preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the field of Education, preferably including a combination of teaching and education leadership experience, both in school and out of school time settings.
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people.
- Experience managing high school equivalency, and/or adult literacy programs and achieving results for low-income, out-of-school youth.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Extensive knowledge of literacy and math instruction, including research-based strategies and current trends in the curriculum and teaching field.
- Demonstrate an understanding and practice of the principles of positive youth development.
- Experience in developing curriculum and guiding the professional development of young educators.
- Familiarity with approaches (and research on approaches) to hands-on, experiential, community–based and/or project-based learning models, differential instruction, mixed-skill and age groupings, culturally relevant teaching practices, formative assessment techniques and working with English Language Learners and students who are striving learners.
- Ability to participate as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Mandarin, or French, preferred
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday – Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume to: APPLY
COVID -19 POLICY
The Door and Broome Street Academy follow the CDC and NYS recommendations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Door and Broome Street Academy are now requiring all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have a qualified exemption.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.