Overview: The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The goal of The Door’s Career and Education Services Department is to support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. Programs within the Career and Education Services Department (CareerED) are designed to help both in-school and out-of-school youth to set and attain their educational and career goals. CareerED services allow a young person to craft a personalized life plan defining the steps he/she will take to achieve those goals while developing the necessary skills for future life success and independence.
This Way Ahead, a program within The Door’s Career and Education Service Department, provides job training and paid internships for young adults in Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic stores. The Workforce Development Coordinator is responsible for working with the program supervisor and coaches to coordinate service delivery, data collection and other administrative tasks. The position requires a person embody an innovative and collaborative spirit and a demonstrated success in youth career and education programming. This position reports to the TWA Supervisor.
- Coordinate and track internal and external participant outreach and recruitment activities to ensure program enrollment and internship targets are met
- Work with program supervisor and coaches to review and revise training curriculum and facilitate retail training and TWA boot camp workshops
- Provide support and coaching to new coaches on the TWA model and curriculum
- Assist with refining existing training, tools and resources to empower staff to lead This Way Ahead through its projected program expansion
- Provide additional support to stores throughout programming through email, conference calls, volunteer events and program areas as needed
- In collaboration with relevant internal and external partners, assist to determine ways to better assess the program and improve its social impact
- Coordinate, monitor program systems to collect program data and track program performance; recommend additional ways to effectively and efficiently record data in real time
- Assist program supervisor with ensuring This Way Ahead staff/partners are meeting program expectations and goals
- Supports other This Way Ahead related projects as needed
- Attend all relevant meetings, trainings, workshops and outside events
- Handle any appropriate responsibilities and functions as assigned by Supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work, education, counseling, public policy, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in youth development, workforce development, or education fields
- Experience with retail sector employment and training strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience developing employer partnerships for internships, training, and/or employment opportunities
- Knowledge of educational/vocational programs for youth, labor market trends and opportunities for youth
- Demonstrated experience in developing lesson plans and facilitating classroom lessons and workshops
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to outreach and engage young people in the educational and career development process
- Ability to closely collaborate with colleagues and work as part of a team to promote successful outcomes for youth
- Ability to model work readiness skills and appropriate work place behavior at all times
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin preferred
Hours: Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: High 40s to 50K, plus generous benefits
Contact: Submit cover letter and resume here – APPLY