The Door is an unparalleled model for youth development, offering a comprehensive range of integrated services within a single site for nearly 11,000 New York City youth each year. Our mission is to empower young adults to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof. By providing participants with our suite of integrated services, we seek to provide any motivated young person with the tools, resources, and opportunities needed to successfully transition to adulthood.
The Member Services Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, training, and supporting volunteers and interns at The Door. They will work collaboratively with program managers to engage and support students, individual volunteers, and corporate volunteers. They will ensure that incoming and current interns have a comprehensive understanding of The Door’s philosophy and policies, have regular access to new, relevant learning opportunities, and are able to work with young people to maximize service provision.
The Member Services Volunteer Coordinator will be housed in the Membership department and will maintain a focus on that program, assisting the Member Services Operations Coordinator in the general oversight of the Intake Counselors in the Member Services Department, the most heavily intern-focused program in the agency. The Member Services Volunteer Coordinator will work collaboratively with program leaders and the Development team to ensure that volunteers are being engaged appropriately at The Door.
- Work with program managers to identify departmental and building-wide volunteer and intern needs
- Conduct info sessions for interested volunteers and serve as the first point of contact to streamline interest in volunteering at The Door
- Create and facilitate initial and ongoing training opportunities for all undergraduate and graduate student interns
- Evaluate intern experience at the agency and work with student supervisors to improve the overall intern experience
- Recruit undergraduate and graduate level student interns and volunteers from local Universities and Colleges to ensure adequate coverage of programmatic needs at The Door
- Build and maintain relationships with local Universities and Colleges to facilitate placements that are appropriate and timely
- Work with corporate groups to develop and implement appropriate and impactful service opportunities
- Oversee external volunteers during agency-wide events
- Provide ongoing, direct supervision and support for Member Services Intake Counselors to ensure appropriate intervention and referrals
- Co-facilitate process groups for student intake counselors and other interns as appropriate
- Assist student interns and volunteers with coordination of continued follow-up with new members
- Assist in the general oversight of the Member Services department
- Provide Door tours and table outreach events as needed
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Social Work, Public Health, or related field preferred
- At least three years of experience in a youth development setting
- Knowledgeable of and ability to apply positive youth development principles to working with young people
- Ability to create and facilitate dynamic and engaging workshops and training
- Ability to represent The Door professionally verbally and in written work
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and multitask while adhering to deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong computer skills required
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Mandarin strongly preferred but not required
Hours: 35 hours per week, afternoon/evening hours, possible rotating weekend hours.
Salary: Low 50s, plus generous benefits
Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY