The Door empowers young people to reach their full potential by providing comprehensive youth development services in a diverse and caring environment. At The Door, youth can access health care and education, mental health counseling and crisis assistance, legal assistance, college preparation services, career development, housing supports, arts, sports and recreational activities, and nutritious meals – all for free and under one roof.
The Door’s Career and Education Services Department in Soho and the South Bronx support young people in completing secondary education and successfully transitioning into post-secondary education and employment. As the Work Readiness/Credential Instructor, you will develop and facilitate workshops and credential instruction for pre-HSE and HSE students as well as sector-focused work readiness workshops for students in occupational skills training. You will provide industry-recognized credentials and facilitate professional development workshops that will prepare students to enter occupational skills training, internships and employment. You will ensure participants understand and explore the opportunities available in New York City. You will work closely with team members to ensure young people are meeting their career and education goals.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Develop and facilitate career exploration, work readiness, and professional development workshops
- Facilitate credential training in areas such as Microsoft Office Certification, the National Retail Federation Credential, and ServSafe
- Work with participants to create individualized Career Readiness portfolios based on their goals and interests
- Recruit, develop, and maintain relationships with employers, businesses and industry representatives with hiring needs
- Participate as a member of an interdisciplinary team to increase our services and make adjustments to provide the appropriate individualized program plans for each young person
- Collect and maintain all program documentation and case records
- Attend all relevant meetings, training, workshops, and outside events as needed
What We are Looking For:
- You have a Bachelor’s and 3+ years’ experience in youth development, workforce development, or education fields
- You have a knack for engaging youth and the ability to apply positive youth development practices
- Experience in credential training
- Experience developing employer partnerships for internships, training, and/or employment opportunities
- Knowledge of educational/vocational programs for youth, labor market trends and opportunities for youth
- You have experience developing lesson plans and facilitating classroom lessons and workshops.
- You work as a team to promote successful outcomes for youth.
- You thrive in a busy environment and able to juggle multiple assignments on time, all the time.
- You know that communication is key.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Mandarin, or French preferred
Why You Should Join Our Team:
- You’re part of a mission driven organization that empowers NYC youth
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 15 vacation days in your first year (20 after the first year) , 12 sick days, 3 personal days
- Flexible Spending Account and Pre- Tax Commuter Program
- 403b retirement plan with up to a 6% employer match
Hours: Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week, occasional evening and weekend hours as needed
Salary: Mid 40s, plus generous benefits package
Submit cover letter and resume to APPLY
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. We support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to our organization. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.