COVID-19 UPDATE – March 27, 2020
To all Door Health Center and Counseling Clients:
The Door Adolescent Health Center and Counseling are *virtually open* for essential health care services. To help make it easy for patients to seek care while also limiting everyone’s exposure to the coronavirus (COVID-19), we have rapidly expanded our ability to offer telehealth visits:
- Virtual Video Visit – Some visits can be done with the HEALOW app on a smart phone, tablet, or computer with a camera. *A patient portal account is required*
- Virtual Telephone Visit – Some visits can be done using a cell phone or home phone, if there are technology limitations.
We are here to help you:
- Text “THEDOOR” to 66746 to ask general questions.
- Send a confidential patient portal message – to reach your provider or to set up an appointment using the HEALOW app.
- Send an email to the Health Center at email@example.com or to Counseling at firstname.lastname@example.org. A member of our team will contact you.
- Call the health center at 212-453-0222 and leave a message with our after-hours service. A member of our team will contact you.
As a reminder, STAY HOME. All New Yorkers — healthy or sick — must stay home. Y ou should only leave your home for essential tasks. When you must go out for essential tasks or solitary exercise, keep at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and others. Wash your hands with soap and water often, for at least 20 seconds…every time…or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Do not touch your face unless you recently washed your hands. For more info, visit: http://www.nyc.gov/coronavirus.
Our commitment to patient care has not changed. We will see our community through this crisis. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
The Door Adolescent Health Center and Counseling Services
The Door’s Health Center offers comprehensive health services – including primary care, dental, eye care, dermatology, nutrition, and sexual/reproductive care services – to any Door member, no matter your ability to pay or your insurance coverage. The first step to accessing our health services is to become a member; joining is free and easy!
Health Center Hours:
Monday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Tuesday 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Wednesday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Thursday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Friday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Closed Saturday & Sunday
To make an appointment, call the health center at: 212-453-0221 or 212-453-0222
We take walk-ins for pregnancy testing, HIV testing, and emergency contraception.
If you’re already a patient and want to check your records, request an appointment, and more, check out our patient portal at https://health.healow.com/thedoor.
Health Center Services:
- Primary care services – checkups, physical exams for work, sports, or school, sick visits, vaccinations, seasonal flu shots, and referrals
- Sexual and reproductive care – exams for men and women, HIV counseling and testing, PrEP and PEP, STD testing and treatment, HPV vaccinations, pregnancy testing and options counseling (referrals for prenatal care, adoption, and terminations).
- Contraception – all birth control methods, including: copper and hormonal IUDs, implant, emergency contraception, pills, the patch, the ring, depo injection, male & female condoms, diaphragms, sponges, spermicides, counseling on natural family planning methods and abstinece education.
- Eye Care services – eye exams, eyeglasses, prescriptions for contacts, and tests and treatment for injuries, infections, and allergies
- Dental services – general dental exams and x-rays, fillings, sealants, fluoride treatments, cleanings and basic oral hygiene instruction
- Dermatology – treatment for acne and other skin conditions
- Nutrition Services – counseling on how to develop healthy eating habits and how to choose delicious and healthy foods
- A medication supply room on site, so we can quickly provide you with a wide range of commonly needed medications without you having to go to the pharmacy.
- A laboratory is also on-site, so you do not have to go off site for tests and screenings.
- A free and confidential text line – you can get answers to any of your health questions by texting “thedoor” to 66746. Check out some of our text line’s most common FAQs!
Eligibility and Insurance
- All health care services are confidential.
- You do NOT need permission from your parent or guardian to access reproductive services.
- An Entitlements Counselor is available to assist young people with Medicaid and other entitlements programs in a completely confidential setting.
- Primary care, dental, and eye care services will be provided regardless of your ability to pay.
Health Center Forms
- Before your appointment, please print and fill out:
- You can read the health center’s:
- After your appointment, please share your feedback:
After Hours Care
When the health center is closed, an after-hours operator will be available to speak to you. Our medical staff will return your call during the next business day. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911 or go to the closest emergency room.
Quality of Care
The Door’s Health Center is a New York State licensed Article 28 facility and a Federally Qualified Health Center. The Health Center is recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as a Level-III Patient-Centered Specialty Practice—the highest level of recognition.
Teachers and Agency Staff
Let The Door come to you! The Outreach Education Team is available to visit your school or community organization to present on a wide variety of Health Education topics. To schedule a visit to your school or organization, or to visit The Door, please complete this online request form: https://door.org/about-door/visit-outreach/
Surprise Bill Law
The Health Center is required to inform you about the “New York State Emergency Medical Services and Surprise Bills Law”, commonly referred to as the “Surprise Bill Law”, which was passed to protect consumers against unknowingly receiving care from out-of-network providers and facing surprise medical bills. You will not receive a bill from any health care plans with which the Health Center participates with, or from any Hospital with which the Health Center is affiliated.
- Plans that we participate with: New York State Medicaid
- Hospitals that we are affiliated with: Bellevue Hospital Center
The Door’s Health Center is funded in part by the Federal Department of Health and Human Services, New York State Department of Health, New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, and private grants.